Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

DON’T USE PAPER MACHE BOXES/HOBBY LOBBY! STAPLES!

Share ideas for making your own parrot toys. What are the best things for parrots to play with? Show pictures of parrots with toys.

DON’T USE PAPER MACHE BOXES/HOBBY LOBBY! STAPLES!

Postby Maria » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:06 am

THOSE PAPER MACHE BOXES I POSTED ABOUT FROM HOBBY LOBBY, I FOUND OUT THEY HAVE STAPLES INSIDE THEM BETWEEN THE LAYERS, LITTLE STAPLES! NOT SAFE !! DO NOT USE THEM!!!!
Came home saw what looked like a little wire sticking out of one in my bird’s cage; he had chewed up to get to the nuts I put inside! I took the toy out of the cage and inspected that box! Pulling it apart, sure enough it was a little staple! I further pulled the box apart and found 2 more little staples! Apparently the way they’re made is they staple the insides between the layers; you can not see the staples unless you tear the box apart, peeling the layers apart! It came together, when on another paper mache box there at the store, there was a little sticker on the bottom of it which said, “decoration only; not a toy”. No wonder! You wouldn’t want to give little staples to a child! You never can be too careful !

This would only be known by actually pulling the box apart to inspect it.

I had only emailed the AFA Certified Aviculturist initially, when I was asking her opinion about them, with links to the photos of them from the hobby lobby website, when we thought there weren’t any non-safe components in them. But at that time, upon my visually looking at them also in the store, they were not torn apart, of course. I am going to email her also and let her know to beware! (smile).
Maria
Maria
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Double Yellow Headed Amazon
Flight: No

Re: DON’T USE PAPER MACHE BOXES/HOBBY LOBBY! STAPLES!

Postby Michael » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:00 pm

Thanks. Better safe than sorry.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Return to Toys, Accessories, and DIY