Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

How to make a perch

Share ideas for making your own parrot toys. What are the best things for parrots to play with? Show pictures of parrots with toys.

How to make a perch

Postby william.k.o » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:03 am

Hi, people.
I want to make a perch, since i didn't find any perches in the area where i live, and i don't have a credit card so i can't buy stuff online, so does someone know how to make a perch for a :pied: (preferably with cheap stuff)
william.k.o
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: cockatiel
Flight: Yes

Re: How to make a perch

Postby thelonelysnake » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:27 am

The cheapest and easiest way to go about it is to use PVC piping. You know the white plastic-like tubes? Those. You can find them at any home improvement store. You can either build like a T-stand perch, or a jungle-gym type deal, honestly, the bird would most likely prefer the jungle gym. Get an idea from google images for what you want, buy some various lengths of PVC pipe and a few connectors and go crazy. Once you've put it together you just wrap the smooth part of the bars with vet wrap. You can drill in loops for toys or just attatch them with silicone baby loops or shower curtain loops. Easy peasy, and less than $100 usually.
thelonelysnake
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: None yet.
Flight: No

Postby william.k.o » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:50 pm

Thank you, i think that's a great way to make a cheap perch. But what is vet wrap?
william.k.o
Cockatiel

Postby cml » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:12 pm

william.k.o wrote:Hi, people.
I want to make a perch, since i didn't find any perches in the area where i live, and i don't have a credit card so i can't buy stuff online, so does someone know how to make a perch for a :pied: (preferably with cheap stuff)

http://theparrotforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=9761&p=67977&hilit=comprehensive+guide#p66594
There you go, I made a quite thorough guide a while back.
Stitch (WFA) and Leroy (BWP)
cml
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: White fronted amazon, Bronze winged pionus

Postby Wolf » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:12 pm

william.k.o wrote:Thank you, i think that's a great way to make a cheap perch. But what is vet wrap?

It is like a wide surgical tape that only sticks to itself as it has no adhesive. It can usually be found at a farm and feed store .
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby william.k.o » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:49 pm

cml wrote:
william.k.o wrote:Hi, people.

http://theparrotforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=9761&p=67977&hilit=comprehensive+guide#p66594
There you go, I made a quite thorough guide a while back.

Thank you for letting me know, i think i'm doing this for the cage, but what if i want to make a standing perch how do i do it?
william.k.o
Cockatiel

Postby william.k.o » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:50 pm

Wolf wrote:
william.k.o wrote:Thank you, i think that's a great way to make a cheap perch. But what is vet wrap?

It is like a wide surgical tape that only sticks to itself as it has no adhesive. It can usually be found at a farm and feed store .

Oh ok, but if i don't find vet wrap, is there something else i can use?
william.k.o
Cockatiel

Postby thelonelysnake » Tue May 06, 2014 9:00 am

william.k.o wrote:
Wolf wrote:

Oh ok, but if i don't find vet wrap, is there something else i can use?

If you cannot find vet wrap you can try to wrap the smooth bars with hemp rope or superior cotton rope. Just make sure that what you are using is bird-safe. DO NOT use any kind of fabric other than superior cotton. Its the only fabric I have heard of that is okay for birds to ingest. Because there are lots of cases where birds have ingested rope from toys, gotten a blockage in their crop or intestines and had to go to the vet and has sometimes even resulted in death. Pretty sure there is a thread about that in the toys section of the forum.
thelonelysnake
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: None yet.
Flight: No

Return to Toys, Accessories, and DIY