Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Help - Lovebird and toys

Share ideas for making your own parrot toys. What are the best things for parrots to play with? Show pictures of parrots with toys.

Help - Lovebird and toys

Postby GingerBird » Tue May 13, 2014 1:01 pm

Hello!

I have a 10yr old lovebird. He is very loving to me, and does not seem to be unhappy. When I bought him, I put three toys in his cage, he loves one and uses it to be cuddled by rubbing his head with it. Another toy was some cloth and he sleeps every night in it, and the last one is hanging in the back of his cage but it does not seem to interest him at all.

Throughout the years, I've tried several new toys. I love bird-toys and like to treat him with a new one. But, he just hates every new toy. Wooden toys, acrylic, home-made... He will attack them anytime. First I thought he just felt the toy was an intruder. So I thought it would be better to let him get used to the toy before putting it in the cage. Every time I let the toy a little closer to the cage, and he didn't seem to be interested.
But as soon as I open the cage to put the toy inside, he just protect his cage with his life and does not want anything new in there.

After trying several methods over a few years, I just stopped with bothering him. Maybe he just likes his cage as it is, and does not want to be bothered by anything new. He seems very happy with his cage, and its items. But still... Is there someone who had the same problem? Is it better to leave his cage as it is, or do I need to try something special before he wants to accept a new toy?

Like to hear your opinions!
GingerBird
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Lovebird, Meyer's Parrot
Flight: Yes

Re: Help - Lovebird and toys

Postby Wolf » Wed May 14, 2014 5:57 am

I have a Senegal who loves shoes, she would rather attack shoes than eat, or so it seems most of the time. I f she sees shoes and can get to them, they are fair game and ripe for plunder. They become hers, at least in her mind, and she will destroy them if she chooses, which she does. There are some birds that the art of attack is part of their play, and some things seems to be more suited for this than others and they take great pleasure, and pride in attacking them and get a great deal of satisfaction from this activity.
I thought that this might give you an insight into what may be occurring with your bird.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Wed May 14, 2014 9:40 am

Give him an unread, brand new catalog so he can chew little strips off it and stick them into his rump. They love to do that and can do it for hours.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby GingerBird » Wed May 14, 2014 11:54 am

that is true! He loves it, especially when the papers are important. But I just have to put those papers inside his cage, on the ground, and he will start tearing those papers to pieces? :) Great tip!
GingerBird
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Lovebird, Meyer's Parrot

Postby Faraaz » Wed May 14, 2014 6:25 pm

Pajarita wrote:Give him an unread, brand new catalog so he can chew little strips off it and stick them into his rump. They love to do that and can do it for hours.

Love this Idea.
Faraaz
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel
Flight: No

Return to Toys, Accessories, and DIY