Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Toys that are not played with

Share ideas for making your own parrot toys. What are the best things for parrots to play with? Show pictures of parrots with toys.

Toys that are not played with

Postby Tman007 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:51 am

Here is what I have seen in my parrots. When I first brought them home three weeks ago I had all kinds of toys shredder toys rope with wood toys, toys with all sizes of blocks of wood. And some of the toys they barely looked at. this one toy Amos never even touched. Until last night, I went in to give them their evening meal and half the toy was on the cage floor he had chewed the crap out of it. So if you think that they are not noticing toys think again, just wait it out and they will try it some time. lol I can see were I am going to have to get a few more toys . LOL :gcc: :jenday: :lol:
It takes a great man to give advice tactfully
But a greater to accept it graciously

Logan Pearsall Smith
Tman007
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Galah (rose breasted cockatoo)
Cockatiel
Flight: Yes

Re: Toys that are not played with

Postby Harpmaker » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:26 pm

Like people, sometimes they are not in the mode to play with "that" toy. Other times it must be destroyed! :thumbsup:
Harpmaker
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Meyer's Parrot

Postby marie83 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:47 am

:) I bought a bird kabob (soft wood) toy for Ollie once, I left it in his cage for months whilst rotating the other toys round. In the course of 1 day it suddenly disappeared and was in pieces on the cage floor even though he never looked in its direction before. We bought replacements ofc but over time he appears to have got bored of destroying them again.
marie83
Cockatoo

Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure

Postby Lady » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:11 pm

Lady also has a certain toy she never bothers with. I have moved in around to the point where it is on the outside top of the cage. I hope to reuse it by switching it up with different pieces I have from other toys. It is made of bamboo and has some rope but she doesn't pay it any attention. I think she prefers bright colors. I almost think orange is her favorite color, followed closely by red. Has anyone found or made any perch type toys? Seems most toys are made to be hanging or foot toys. What about perch toys? Guess not many prefer them.
Lady
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Illiger's Macaw

Postby booster » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:55 pm

That's so funny how, in one day it can be torn to pieces. I've noticed that each of my birds have certain preferences. My green cheeks adore shiny toys and rope toys. The senegal LOVES to demolish her wooden toys and she has this one swing that she goes completely MAD on (swinging it so hard that she'll bounce off the top of the cage). My quaker looooves fabric. The cockatiel just lavishes in whatever he can sink his beak in or onto. And jingly toys alternately frighten and then obsess each of them. It's always comical to introduce a new bell. Haha. Most of their new toys will go unused until someone else expresses an interest in it, and then they jealously guard it.

Oh, and of course the best part of every new toy is the tag or wrapping paper it comes with. Because a $20 new toy never compares to the 5 cent piece of paper labelling it. :D
booster
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: 1 x Senegal parrot
2 x Green cheek conures
1 x Cockatiel
1 x Quaker

Postby Navre » Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:14 pm

My African Grey never ignored a toy. She would either play with it and chew it up right away, or be terrified of it and scream until it was removed. Trying to put the toy across the room for a while so she could become accustomed to it didn't work, either. There was no rhyme or reason (discernible to a human) to which toys were accepted and which were rejected.
Navre
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Return to Toys, Accessories, and DIY