Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

mirror ?

Share ideas for making your own parrot toys. What are the best things for parrots to play with? Show pictures of parrots with toys.

mirror ?

Postby william.k.o » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:21 pm

Some friends of mine told me that mirrors entertain parrots and it makes them feel accompanied, is that true?
william.k.o
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: cockatiel
Flight: Yes

Re: mirror ?

Postby Wolf » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:30 pm

It sometimes works, but it depends on the bird, however, it appears that for many of them they either hate the bird in the mirror and this causes stress, or some of them fall in love with the bird in the mirror and then you end up with a hormonal, frustrated sexually excited bird which again stresses it out. I normally just avoid mirrors for my birds as they cause more problems in the long haul than they solve.
But if you spend enough time with them then they are happy and don't feel all alone.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby william.k.o » Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:32 pm

Oh ok, thanks.
And what do you think about bells hanged up in the cage do they see it like fun or is there any problem?
william.k.o
Cockatiel

Postby Wolf » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:05 pm

Personally, I like bells and it seems to me that my birds like them even better. I would examine them very closely to make sure that they can not get the clapper out of the bell and swallow it. Some bells that seem to be really nice have cheap clappers that are attached with cheap jump rings that a parrot can easily open, making the clapper and the ring with which it was attached into very dangerous small items.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Tman007 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:26 pm

William mirrors were good thirty years ago because most people just had birds in a cage. Times have changed just have fun with your parrot. the more time you spend with him the better for both of you. And you will see that he will want to be with you more also. And you just might notice that after you spend time with him that he will be a little more relaxed when you put him back in his cage. They do like to have some alone time once in awhile. :gcc: :jenday:
It takes a great man to give advice tactfully
But a greater to accept it graciously

Logan Pearsall Smith
Tman007
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Galah (rose breasted cockatoo)
Cockatiel

Postby marie83 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:26 am

Safe bells are fine IMO, I don't like mirrors for toys/company etc though.

With the bells I wouldn't be so much concerned about the clapper coming out and it getting swallowed but I would be concerned about the fact if the clapper can come lose then that means there is a dangerous split where the clapper was attached what the bird can get its beak, tongue or toes trapped in. Also if you have the bell on a chain that must not have any splits in the links either. Most bells aren't safe so do check very very carefully (I lost George my peach fronted conure- he got his beak stuck), invest in one or two good sturdy ones and swap them for the cheaper ones that usually come on toys.
marie83
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure

Postby Pajarita » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:33 am

Personally, I don't like mirrors for birds. But, then, I don't like single birds, either, especially when they belong to the smaller species. I can see having a large species on its own because they tend to imprint and bond very deeply with humans so, up to a point (not completely, mind you) they are satisfied with their company but I see no justification to keep a little one on its own. People say that if you want the bird to bond with you, you can't give it a mate but I think that's terribly selfish and not even accurate because although I've never tried it with a budgie, I've had lovies and tiels that were single birds and people friendly before they came to me, and continued been as friendly as they were before when they joined a flock or got a mate of their own. I even had a couple of female lovebirds (which everybody says are nippy to begin with and become aggressive when they have mates) that always came when I called their names and flew to my shoulder to spend time with me and joined their mates when I left the birdroom - and I have a hand-fed tiel (LovieDovey, female lutino) which is still as friendly as she ever was even though she has been living with the other tiels for the last 6 years and has a husband of her own (they nest and she lays eggs every breeding season).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby william.k.o » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:03 pm

Thanks, i'll get some good quality bells, and i won't put the mirror.
Thanks for your answers. :D
william.k.o
Cockatiel

Postby nizwa » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:26 am

nice post

Number of Birds Owned: 12

Postby hannah50942 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:15 pm

if u have a mirror for your bird and he gets into play mode he will get really frustrated cause he will went to play with it but his reflection cant play with him so it is not a good idea. sometimes its ok but i recommend no :hatched:
HGTindall
hannah50942
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: finches, cockatiels, budgies, canaries and qualis

Next

Return to Toys, Accessories, and DIY