Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

is it normal that my bird won't play with his toys?

Share ideas for making your own parrot toys. What are the best things for parrots to play with? Show pictures of parrots with toys.

is it normal that my bird won't play with his toys?

Postby quakerboo » Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:10 pm

Ive had my quaker since Tuesday and he hasnt touched any of his toys yet. he has different kinds with different materials and for different purposes. I had an African grey and I asked my mum and she said he took a while to play with his toys aswell. I don't want him to get bored and I want him to realise he has things to play with. Will he realise by himself in time?
quakerboo
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Quaker Parrot
Flight: Yes

Re: is it normal that my bird won't play with his toys?

Postby Tman007 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:42 pm

Your parrot is young he needs to get used to everything going on around him. He needs to get used to you as well. Give him time. you say you put toys on the bottom of the cage. Do you have toys at the top of the cage where he goes. He needs toys at the top as well. Make sure you give him ones he can destroy, tear apart. ones he can chew up. Not just ones he can play with. Hope this will help you. :gcc: :jenday:
It takes a great man to give advice tactfully
But a greater to accept it graciously

Logan Pearsall Smith
Tman007
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Galah (rose breasted cockatoo)
Cockatiel

Postby Wolf » Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:24 pm

Tman007 wrote:Your parrot is young he needs to get used to everything going on around him. He needs to get used to you as well. Give him time. you say you put toys on the bottom of the cage. Do you have toys at the top of the cage where he goes. He needs toys at the top as well. Make sure you give him ones he can destroy, tear apart. ones he can chew up. Not just ones he can play with. Hope this will help you. :gcc: :jenday:

Actually this reply should go with the other bird not playing with toys.

For this one: You may have to show him how to use the toys that you got for him. Play with them for a minute or two and then let him try. Then move on to the next toy.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Cage Cleaner » Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:12 am

K
Last edited by Cage Cleaner on Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cage Cleaner
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: 2

Postby Pajarita » Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:50 am

Three days is nothing to a baby parrot (is it a baby or did you adopt an adult?) and babies simply do not play, especially when they are by themselves which makes them feel unsafe and anxious but, if we are talking about an adult quaker, they like to build so, to them, nothing is better than a box filled up with a bunch of little crap they can weave together (paper strips, old feathers, leaves, little branches, popsicle sticks, etc)
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz » Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:34 pm

His world did a fast change last Tuesday. Everything around him is strange and he doesn't know where everything he knew went. If he is a baby then he is missing his siblings too.

Rambo has always turned boxes into little pieces of mulch. He gets excited when I give him a new box. He never played with toys. Myrtle only had one hanging toy. When she saw the others she played with each one. Her favorite is a bell in a plastic ball and inside of a bigger plastic ball. It looked like fun to him. She taught him how to play with toys.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Cockatiellove » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:00 pm

I have the same problem..tried everything...bought so many toys and nothing. Gave the toys at different times,not all at once...3 daysso far with a chewing toy and it still won't come nowhere near it or any toy for that matter...she seems interested when I play, but won't inch. I decided to put the toy next to her food tray and treats bowls...so frustrating though.
Cockatiellove
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel
Flight: No

Postby ParrotsForLife » Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:08 pm

Some birds like different things like Rocko will only play with wood and string toys and Loki likes all toys she can shred and make noise and Mango likes toys he can shred too.Mango started playing with toys about 1-2 weeks after getting him some birds take longer than others.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA

Return to Toys, Accessories, and DIY