Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Does it matter how I hang the toys?

Share ideas for making your own parrot toys. What are the best things for parrots to play with? Show pictures of parrots with toys.

Re: Does it matter how I hang the toys?

Postby liz » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:29 pm

When putting toys and perches in a cage make sure one is not over the other. I have seen cages that people think are big because they are tall. Birds aren't vertical.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy
Flight: Yes

Re: Does it matter how I hang the toys?

Postby TooLove » Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:38 pm

Wolf wrote:
TooLove wrote:Also I have seen birds with those quick links stuck underneath their beaks, one even punctured through to the mouth. So if you use them, secure them tightly, and if your bird learns to unscrew them they are off the table.

Thanks for this one, I have never heard of that happening, much less ever seeing it, but thinking on it a little it makes perfect sense to me. Again thank you.

No problem! :) I wouldn't say it happens enough to warrant not using them, but it's good to know. I personally prefer the plastic "chain link" sort of things that you can buy in the baby sections of stores, but if I use quick links I just make sure they are screwed tightly just in case.

liz wrote:When putting toys and perches in a cage make sure one is not over the other. I have seen cages that people think are big because they are tall. Birds aren't vertical.

Actually, they are...a tree isn't just one level plane. Birds can choose to be on the ground, fly above the trees, or hang out somewhere in between; you can't get much more vertical than that. I see no problem with providing toys and perches at different heights as long as none of them are in the line of fire of poop from perches above. It encourages climbing and movement and provides a little more choice in an environment where they are already quite limited. Just my 2 cents.
:cockatoo:

Follow us on instagram: http://www.instagram.com/danellejc
TooLove
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: U2
Flight: Yes

Previous

Return to Toys, Accessories, and DIY