Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Safe natural materials for birds

Share ideas for making your own parrot toys. What are the best things for parrots to play with? Show pictures of parrots with toys.

Safe natural materials for birds

Postby Lia and Sky » Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:38 pm

Ive seen lots of toys in petstores that hve been made for small animals and birds. They use alot of natural materials like loofa, seagrass, sisal, corn husk and things, just wanted to be sure that these are safe and are there any materials that I should avoid. Thanks :)
Lia and Sky
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Budgie
Flight: Yes

Re: Safe natural materials for birds

Postby Pajarita » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:25 pm

All of those are fine. I don't like the toys with chains, bells or cloth material that shreds. But then, my birds hardly ever get a commercial toy...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:37 pm

I bought a potted, Norfolk Island Pine yesterday. I know that they are on the safe list for birds, but I'm wondering if there might be something dangerous on the plant. Pesticides, or something.

The plan was to let my GCC climb around on the tree, but now I'm not sure.

The plant was grown at Costa Farms in Goulds FL. Maybe I'll contact them.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Wolf » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:53 pm

Good idea!
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby liz » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:04 am

One of the things I have found is corn husk. When I peel the husk off a cob, I leave it in one piece. I then take the first layer of husk off and rinse the rest real good. Lifting and twisting the layers before they dry will keep them fluffed. They thought that was wonderful. While ripping it apart they even played tug of war.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Pajarita » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:19 pm

Navre wrote:I bought a potted, Norfolk Island Pine yesterday. I know that they are on the safe list for birds, but I'm wondering if there might be something dangerous on the plant. Pesticides, or something.

If it was grown for a Christmas tree, it would have nothing on it - but, if it was grown as ornamental, it most likely does.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:29 pm

Pajarita wrote:
Navre wrote:I bought a potted, Norfolk Island Pine yesterday. I know that they are on the safe list for birds, but I'm wondering if there might be something dangerous on the plant. Pesticides, or something.

If it was grown for a Christmas tree, it would have nothing on it - but, if it was grown as ornamental, it most likely does.

It was sold as a Christmas tree, but the website of the grower warns that Norfolk Pines are poisonous to both humans and animals. I was sure that Norfolks were on the list of safe plants for birds. I'll have to look into it more.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Wolf » Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:55 pm

Norfolk Pine is on the safe for birds list.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:49 am

It is toxic to dogs and cats (nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, etc), I don't know about birds but my motto is "when in doubt, don't'" so I would not use it in the birdroom, just in case. Sometimes, they list a species as non-toxic to birds but it only means species like passerines or corvids which don't chew on wood, branches or needle-like leaves - but parrots would. Why don't you try a fir? They are perfectly safe so that's what I get for Christmas and, when I take the ornaments down, I put it in the birdroom.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby liz » Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:18 pm

Don't put a Christmas cactus in the bird room. :pied: Charlene had cactus on her beak, then I found a paddle missing. She was special and she knew it. She found as much to get into as these Amazons do.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Return to Toys, Accessories, and DIY