Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

New Conure: How long before they play with toys?

Share ideas for making your own parrot toys. What are the best things for parrots to play with? Show pictures of parrots with toys.

New Conure: How long before they play with toys?

Postby Bostobudgies » Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:49 pm

Hello,

I have a really friendly wonderful 10 month old Crimson-bellied Conure. He's been with me for about 5 days now and even though there are foraging toys, a bouncy perch, and some other toys in his cage, he doesn't seem to notice them or want to play with them. I know conures are generally really playful with toys so I'm curious about other people's birds. How long did it take your conure to start playing with toys once you brought him home?
Bostobudgies
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Budgies
Crimson bellied conure
Flight: Yes

Re: New Conure: How long before they play with toys?

Postby Wolf » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:27 pm

Since I don't have any conures, I may not be the best one to reply to this post. But despite that I would like to say that it may be a bit early as he is still getting accustomed to his new home. Also how quickly he begins to play with his toys depends on several factors beginning with whether he had toys before you got him as well as if he was taught to play with them if he id have them. It will further be influenced by whether or not you take the time to show him the toys and hoe they are used. They will play with them sooner and more often if you teach him how to play with them. Any way that is about all that I can really say on this topic, so I am hoping that it will help you.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby mls475 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:31 pm

I got a sun conure that is 3 months old..2 1/2 weeks ago and got him all kinds of toys-some are at the top of the cage and some are at the bottom and he just started playing with them about 2 days ago..so far anything with a bell he likes or things to pull at.like one toy has something almost like a shoe lace hanging off of it..hope this helps.
mls475
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Sun Conure-3 months old
Flight: No

Postby Hookturn » Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:45 pm

In my experience,which is very limited (I had two conures as fosters for several months, a baby Jenday that was diabetic and didn't make past 7 months, and now a sun baby who is about 6 months). It takes time for them to settle down to their new environment. I could see a big change in behavior in all these little guys after I'd had them for a few weeks. Be patient and most of all make sure your little one feel's safe. Don't force your bird out of its cage. He will Come to you when he's ready. And will likely start to destroy everything in his cage as he gets more comfortable. I think time is your best friend. Just my two cents.
Hookturn
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Sun Conure "TJ"

Postby liz » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:55 am

For some reason Rambo did not play with toys and I never thought to teach him at his age he should have been playing already. Myrtle liked the bright colors, shapes and noise made by the toys. She was into them right away. Her play taught Rambo how to play with toys.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby RiffRaff » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:50 pm

I have a green cheeked conure who is around 18-20 weeks old. Ze played with home made toys after about 3 days. After 5 days, I got a chance to go out and get a load of store bought toys. Ze played with some right away and has completely ignored others. One of the toys seems to freak Riff Raff right out and ze won't go near it. Flies away when the toy is brought near.

How many toys do you have for your bird? Maybe the toys you have just don't interest your bird, and you need to try a few others.
"It's astounding. Time is... fleeting. Madness takes its toll."
RiffRaff
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheeked Conure

Postby zeeshan002 » Thu May 07, 2015 2:32 am

I have a green cheeked conure who is around 18-20 weeks old. Ze played with home made toys after about 3 days. After 5 days, I got a chance to go out and get a load of store bought toys. Ze played with some right away and has completely ignored others. One of the toys seems to freak Riff Raff right out and ze won't go near it. Flies away when the toy is brought near.
zeeshan002
Parakeet

Postby Wolf » Thu May 07, 2015 8:03 am

Zeeshan002; There is nothing unusual in this as it depends on what they are accustomed to. Some things, if they have not seen anything like it before tend to freak them out as it is new and strange and to their way of looking at it possibly dangerous as well. Place the toy across the room fro your bird friends in a spot where they can see it and move it a little closer to their cage every 2 or 3 days. If they start acting nervous when you move it closer then leave it in that spot longer and let them see you play with it to show them that it is not going to eat them. Then when they are relaxed with it there resume moving it closer slowly.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby nuffz » Sun May 10, 2015 2:15 pm

I have a mitred conure, his toy habits do vary from toy to toy but as a rule it usual takes about a week of walking around and eyeing up a new item in his cage before he starts attacking/playing with it. however if i put a new babble ball in with him he starts playing with it straight away, this is the same with fabric items . I wouldn't be to worried if it takes him a while to get accustomed to his new surroundings , mine cannot settle for a week or so if i move his cage to a different part of the room.
nuffz
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: redheaded mitred conure

Postby kika95 » Thu May 21, 2015 1:59 pm

Ive had my conure for a month and he barely started playing with his toy a few days ago. We bought him all kinds of cool wooden toys when we first got him but he never touched them. Then we went to the dollar tree and made him some toys and he loves them... stuff he can rip up he likes.
kika95
Parrotlet

Types of Birds Owned: Brown throated conure
Flight: No

Next

Return to Toys, Accessories, and DIY