Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

sleeping tents

Share ideas for making your own parrot toys. What are the best things for parrots to play with? Show pictures of parrots with toys.

sleeping tents

Postby mls475 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:42 pm

Are sleeping tents ok? My sun conure LOVES to crawl under the blanket and go right to sleep..ive heard good and bad about sleep tents, but know that Ogi would like something like this..thoughts..
mls475
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Sun Conure-3 months old
Flight: No

Re: sleeping tents

Postby mls475 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:49 pm

not sure why this posted twice?..sorry
mls475
Parrotlet

Types of Birds Owned: Sun Conure-3 months old
Flight: No

Postby shiraartain » Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:29 pm

Well, first of all, great job paying attention to your parrot to see what they might like. there's no guarantee your bird will like a sleeping tent. My gcc also loves crawling under the blanket and going to sleep and so i just end up laying there and playing around on my phone until he wakes up.

I know a lot of people will completely advise against one. Personally, I went through reviews of tons of different ones and flipped through a great number of forums until I decided on buying one of these
http://www.amazon.com/Pollys-Love-Nest- ... B00061UUXA
Which I felt was the safest option. I highly advise against getting the furry ones, I saw a lot of posts about how the birds ingested the material and the owners didn't realize until it was too late.

Even then, I checked regularly for loose threads and the like as your bird can get caught on them and become injured and/or die.

In the end, he only used it maybe about ten times, and then stopped. It served as his "toy box" until it was time to rotate it out in exchange for a different toy.

In the end, it's your decision to make. I wish I'd spent that money on toys instead, personally.
shiraartain
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure, Quaker, Ringneck
Flight: Yes

Postby Wolf » Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:52 pm

There is quite a bit of controversy as to how safe they are, with the fuzzy ones posing the greatest threat as they can pull out and ingest quite a few of the fuzzy threads before you would ever notice that they were missing. As for the rest of them, I think that as long as you keep any loose or long threads trimmed off, they should be safe enough.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:17 am

Sun conures, same as GCCs and quakers, adore sleeping huts. Just make sure he/she is not chewing on it and swallowing the threads.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby liz8200 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:00 am

My Blue Crested Conjure loves his sleeping tents. When he goes to sleep he gets right under the tent. He looks so cute, it looks like a cape over his head and body. He just goes right to sleep. I have never seen him chew on his. When his older one got worn I got him a new one. I also like knowing he is kept warm from the tent.
liz8200
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Blue Crested Conjure and cockatiels.

Return to Toys, Accessories, and DIY