Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Scared to death of toys

Share ideas for making your own parrot toys. What are the best things for parrots to play with? Show pictures of parrots with toys.

Scared to death of toys

Postby bean » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:44 am

Bean my BFA, seems to be afraid of almost every toy I buy him. Is this unusual? Perches too! I buy him real nice perches, and I and up throwing them in a drawer, because he is so scared, I cant even leave them in there until he get used to them, he will either fly away, or scrunch up in a corner, as far away as he can get, from what ever evil I introduced into his world, as he can get, until I vanquish it. Any way, I ordered him a large rope, for over his cage, 2 actually, one for his outside cage but much smaller, and it will be here today. Has anyone else had problems with Zons, beings weird with new things, and how did they get thru it? I really want Bean to use this rope for a lot of reasons.
bean
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Blue Front Amazon
Flight: No

Re: Scared to death of toys

Postby Pajarita » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:11 am

No, actually, I would say that zons are pretty much fearless. I have six right now but I've cared for eleven and not one of them was ever afraid of any perch, toy, rope or anything. But your bird is quite sick and has been sick for a long time and parrots hide and shy away from unknown things, people, environment, etc when they are not feeling well (it puts them in a super vulnerable position so they stay away from anything that might even suggest a remote danger to them).

In my personal opinion, you should avoid stressing him out as much as possible until he is feeling better because stress depresses the immune system and he needs all the help he can get to get better.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Re: Scared to death of toys

Postby seagoatdeb » Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:06 pm

I dont have experience with Zons, but for a parrot that is afraid of new things, I woud first set up the toy outside the cage somewhere, and when the bird gets comfotable with it you can again try it inside the cage.
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Red Belly Poicephalus and a Meyers Poicephalus
Flight: Yes

Return to Toys, Accessories, and DIY