Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Do all parrots like/need a cage full of toys?

Share ideas for making your own parrot toys. What are the best things for parrots to play with? Show pictures of parrots with toys.

Do all parrots like/need a cage full of toys?

Postby JaydeParrot » Wed May 06, 2015 8:48 am

My Sennies just don't seem to like toys, they have a big plastic bag of toys which I've stored in a cupboard because they were never used by the bird and only served to get pooped on.

I used to dress their cage up with a wooden ladder that led from the side of the cage to the floor (ignored in favour of just climbing up the cage bars instead), a swinging perch which held onto the roof (never willingly used), two hanging wooden toys (never touched) a plastic hanging toy (stepped over like an obstacle) a giant hanging mirror (had to be taken down on the same day it was put up cuz the birds started hissing and trying to attack it), a hanging plastic treasure chest (ignored), a large metal bell (ignored)... Possibly some others that I've forgotten. The only toys they have in their cage now is a skewer, they enjoy attacking the apple on the end, and a hanging wooden toy which they haven't touched since the day I brought and gave it to them which was sometime last year.

The only thing they really seem to enjoy (besides the skewer) is a small plastic tray that I fill with broken willow sticks everyday, they walk over, pull one out, take it back to their perch and pull it apart, they also enjoy books which I hang through the cage- they enjoy tearing up the pages- not avid readers then?

Is it normal for parrots not to use toys? Should I bother putting in toys that they never use? (I'm in the same room with them nearly 24/7).

All they have in their cage is different sized perches, a skewer, an unused hanging wooden toy, chewy books and containers for food water and willow sticks. Is it enough, is it worth adding their other toys if they never use they and just step over or around them?
JaydeParrot
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: 2 Senegal Parrots.
Flight: Yes

Re: Do all parrots like/need a cage full of toys?

Postby Pajarita » Wed May 06, 2015 10:10 am

Yes, it's perfectly normal. Parrots in the wild don't play with anything and, in reality, what we call 'playing' in captivity is not really playing at all, it's chewing, shredding, foraging or displaced aggression. You might want to give them stuff to chew on like rolled up unread catalogs, cardboard boxes, branches, wicker baskets, etc. They all like that and most of the stuff is free or very cheap - I just got these giant wicker 'trays' (round BIG things with a little raised edge all around) for $1.99 each and some paper plate holders, also made out of untreated wicker, at 4 x $1.99 and my birds are all having a party with them!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Roonil Wazlib » Sat May 09, 2015 6:36 am

I would just put in easy shredding toys that they can destroy for fun, some simple forging toys (like a nut in rolled up newspaper which encourages them to explore the 'toy' and getting a reward for it. and bits of wood like you have been. you might be able to introduce the toys back slowly after they begin to play with the shredding and forging toys. Taking the toy apart with them interacting might help them to realize that the wooden beads and rope (im assuming you have toys like this) are chewable and, in fact, rather fun to destroy ;)

Also, you could take one or two of their toys and (while they are in their cage) play with the toys in front of them. The mere simple fact that you have something could perk their interest enough so that they will want to explore what you have (my parrot, and many other parrots believe what is theirs is theirs and what is yours is also theirs :lol: - so if they see you having a good time, they should want in on the action too) but be careful, i got a bite from Julian for making toys with him out of his cage, and, of cause, he MUST have the bead that I'm currently threading, not the five I've already done :/ my finger just got caught in the way.
Roonil Wazlib
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Eclectus

Postby Pajarita » Sat May 09, 2015 9:37 am

Be VERY careful with beads. They look wonderful in a toy but they need to be bigger than their beak so they can't choke on them. If he can grab it, it's too small.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Jhaynes1230 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:59 am

Our ARB loves just about anything I put in his cages. He immediate goes to and starts working on just about any toy. If he can't shred it he at least trying. I rotate thinkg weekly to get him interested. I also hide a few sunflower seeds -- but not always -- for him to find. I do this more on days when I know he's going to have less attention and few treats.
Jhaynes1230
Lovebird

Types of Birds Owned: African Red Bellied

Postby liz » Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:04 pm

Rambo and Myrtle's favorite toy is the ball inside a ball. But Myrtle spends a lot of time on her shower curtain chain. I hung one from the top of my sliding glass door. I put a water jug on it last night after they went to bed. This morning she is using it like a tire swing.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby seagoatdeb » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:12 pm

I make toys for inside the cage but my birds like the play areas and hanging toys I have made for outside the cage better. My yard is full of lilac trees and lilac is bird safe so I have made a lot of perches and a lot of hanging toys using wood, but my birds love the atom like toys I make the best. Atom toys are expensive, but I make them for $10-15 dollars each so can afford to have lots.
Attachments
IMG_20150819_152631~2.jpg
IMG_20150915_084344~2.jpg
IMG_20150915_084344~2.jpg (130.83 KiB) Viewed 11630 times
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Red Belly Poicephalus and a Meyers Poicephalus

Postby Scoutster » Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:06 am

This is the only toy my boy has ever enjoyed and he destroyed it in less than a week!! He loves the woven reed mat I have on the dining table too <3

Scoutster
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel

Postby Pajarita » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:52 am

He certainly looks as if he is 'going to town' on it! :lol:
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Parrotkeeper02 » Sun Oct 18, 2015 5:46 am

I like to keep my toys natural avoiding the plasticy stuff one of my lorikeets favourite toy is a ball of grass with racing in the middle (I farm the hay which I know is 100% safe) another one is covering the top of there food bowl with newspaper. They don't have to be toys just something the keep there minds busy
Parrotkeeper02
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Swaisons lorikeet. chattering lorikeet, blue and gold macaw

Next

Return to Toys, Accessories, and DIY