Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Baked Pine cones

Share ideas for making your own parrot toys. What are the best things for parrots to play with? Show pictures of parrots with toys.

Baked Pine cones

Postby lrhodes91 » Wed May 06, 2015 11:04 am

Hi all!

I have gotten so much wonderful advice on here I just want to say "thank you so much!!!" I want to add a tip that has really been great for me. It costs no money if you can find these and put a little time into them. Baked pine cones have been great for my CAG! This probably has already been posted but in case it hasn't I wanted to share. We live in a very rural area so no worry about poisons. We collect them when they fall from the pine tree and use them throughout the year for foraging for Happy. Just bake them in an oven on 200 degrees F for 30 minutes. Turn off your oven after 30 minutes. Leave the pine cones in the oven (with it turned off) another 2 hours. Happy loves them. Keeps him busy and doesn't cost anything but electicity to bake for 30 minutes.

Thanks for letting me a part of such a great group!
Lyn
lrhodes91
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: African Grey
Cockatiel
Flight: Yes

Re: Baked Pine cones

Postby Wolf » Wed May 06, 2015 11:49 am

Thank you for allowing us to be a part of your lives.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby lrhodes91 » Wed May 06, 2015 4:01 pm

Wolf wrote:Thank you for allowing us to be a part of your lives.

Thanks so much!!!! :D
lrhodes91
Lovebird

Cockatiel

Postby Pajarita » Thu May 07, 2015 10:49 am

I used to collect lots and lots of pine cones for the parrots when I live in Pennsylvania but I did not bake them because, when they are exposed to heat, the little 'scales' open up to release the seeds hidden inside and the parrots liked to open them up and eat them right off the pine cone.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby lrhodes91 » Fri May 08, 2015 9:42 am

Pajarita wrote:I used to collect lots and lots of pine cones for the parrots when I live in Pennsylvania but I did not bake them because, when they are exposed to heat, the little 'scales' open up to release the seeds hidden inside and the parrots liked to open them up and eat them right off the pine cone.

Well, maybe I will stop baking them. I read it was important to bake them before you give them to your parrot. I read the heat removes insects or anything that might be harmful to the bird. I also file all of the sticky needles down before Happy gets them. I think I could make a good living off pine cones with all the work I put into them. :lol: Lol Thank so much!!!! :D
lrhodes91
Lovebird

Cockatiel

Postby Pajarita » Fri May 08, 2015 10:26 am

Yes, baking is the way to get rid of parasites but I don't think that pinecones actually harbor any - branches might but, for some reason, pinecones seem always 'clean'.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Blu » Fri May 08, 2015 12:32 pm

Is sap not an issue?
Blu the Budgie :budgie2:

Connor the Green Cheek Conure :gcc:
Blu
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Parakeet, Cinnamon Green cheek Conure

Postby Pajarita » Sat May 09, 2015 9:38 am

I don't think that pinecones that have fallen to the ground have any sap inside of them, maybe some stuck on the outside but that's easily washed off.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Kakariki » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:14 am

I am happy to learn that pine cones do not have to be baked to be safe. Thank you. I also collect grape vines and twist them into wreaths and toys but DO bake them. All my birds prefer any of the toys I make to the pretty store bought ones, those are ignored.
Kakariki
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure; Sun Conure; Kakariki; 2 budgies. 2 ringnecks

Postby liz » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:22 pm

Thank you for the tip. We have some pine trees here.
Are acorns safe?
Don' throw away your corn husks. If you pull them off in one chunk you can twist them in different direction and let them dry that way. Just hang it from the stem part.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Next

Return to Toys, Accessories, and DIY