Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

New hanging toy with an unwelded ring hanger

Share ideas for making your own parrot toys. What are the best things for parrots to play with? Show pictures of parrots with toys.

New hanging toy with an unwelded ring hanger

Postby nikkid » Wed May 27, 2015 3:00 pm

I have recently purchased some new toys for my senegal but I've noticed that instead of arriving with a welded metal hanging ring to fasten the caribbiner to the cage they don't seem to be welding the ring closed leaving what looks to me like a very sharp edge and potential injury hazard. Is this a new thing? I've had a couple lately that have arrived from different sources in the same condition

I haven't given him the toys yet but he's desperate for a replacement for a toy which is rapidly getting unsanitary.

I'm wondering if anyone can suggest something I can use to cover this - albeit microscopic - gap in the fastening ring and knowing my lad he'll find a way to trap some part of his anatomy in it no matter what.
nikkid
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
Flight: Yes

Re: New hanging toy with an unwelded ring hanger

Postby Pajarita » Thu May 28, 2015 10:29 am

I am no good with these things... maybe Wolf, who is very creative and handy can help you out.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Wolf » Thu May 28, 2015 11:50 am

You may be able to open the ring with a couple of pairs of pliers by twisting it open and replacing it with a quick link such as this
http://www.lowes.com/pd_348548-258-7551 ... 62308&pl=1
This is the safest way that I know of.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby nikkid » Thu May 28, 2015 3:22 pm

We have a link like that already on it but that is fastened to a metal hoop which goes around the rope hoop - one of his favourite toys but I have to replace the existing one as it's heading towards unsanitary. I wonder if I can replace the metal ring with a leather one and loop the existing caribiner through that.
nikkid
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1

Postby Wolf » Thu May 28, 2015 7:59 pm

As long as the leather is vegetable tanned and not chromium tanned it should be safe enough.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Return to Toys, Accessories, and DIY