Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Wont use the new hammock

Share ideas for making your own parrot toys. What are the best things for parrots to play with? Show pictures of parrots with toys.

Wont use the new hammock

Postby jason1783 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:08 pm

Im not sure why but I bought my bird a new hammock because the old one was getting dangerous was getting his nails caught in because had torn the inside up . Well Never once did he get in the new one so I went and bought a new one of the exact one he had before and slept in all the time ...Its been in there now for almost 5 months and never once has he slept in it .He is back to just sleeping on the warming perch all the time now ... Well I bought a couple pedi perches to help with his toenails maybe wont have to get them cut as much that way I thought because his tend to get long an start to curl but in a way you know it has to be uncomfortable so i thought the perches would help with that some ....Yet just like the hammock he wont even try it out . Anyone know a way to entice him maybe get him wanting to use the items ? The old hammock he slept in it all the time just loved it . yet a new one exactly like what he had he wont have anything to do with ,, stubborn bird lol just wondering if anyone has any tips to help him use the perches and hammock....he is a very tame gentle bird so I can pick him up and such as needed .
Thanks so much ' in advance! BTW I hope I put this in the right place I just made an account on this site so new to how it works
jason1783
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: One Jenday Conure
Flight: No

Re: Wont use the new hammock

Postby Wolf » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:41 pm

This is not really uncommon as just like us they sometimes change and no longer want what they used to want. I have no answer for this, but I am concerned about his nails as this type of growth is not normal in birds. How old is your bird? What do you feed your bird? When was the last time he was checked by an avian vet or had a bile acids test?
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:44 am

Yes, Wolf is correct. Birds claws don't really grow that long when they are healthy (and they certainly don't grow enough to curl onto themselves) so, unless he's had a complete physical within the last six months (and that means a bile acids test, too), I would take him to the vet to see if there is anything going on.

As to how to make them use a pediperch (I only use sweetfeet and NO other!), the best way is to put it in place of the bird's roosting perch and to make sure it's the right size for it.

The hammocks are not really necessary so, if he is not using it, it's fine.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby jason1783 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:07 am

I just took him to the pet shop around here and the lady clipped the ones that were problems ..its like it curled in a way so that it wouldnt fit around the perch how it use to ..was only the one toe but on both sides of that toe . I will look into finding a vet that deals with birds .. he has never been checked out I bought him from a lady that bred them and I got him when he was little . I have had him now over three years .So really just like us he is totally due a check up .i know I dont have any vets around me I remember looking awhile back I have had all types of birds over the years so for one reason or the other I was looking . But im sure there has to be one maybe an hour or so away .I didnt think the nails were to get that long none of my other birds did I ever have to get them clipped . Thats why I purchased the pedi perches for his nails thinking maybe that would help some . But if there isan underlying problem Id like to know . anyway thanks so much for getting back to me and I will def get him checked out
jason1783
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: One Jenday Conure
Flight: No

Postby Saerphe » Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:44 pm

What did your bird eat at the breeder's, and what's his diet like now? Sometimes beak and nail overgrowth and/or deformities can be caused by malnutrition.
Saerphe
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure

Postby seagoatdeb » Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:46 pm

My Red Belly used to love her hammock but just quit using it one day. These days she sleeps in a small Orbit I made for her cage and takes her naps in a larger orbit on the side of her cage I made. My Meyers sleeps in the orbit in his cage too, so I evenentually took his hammock out and gave it to my daughter who has a Meyers and a GGC who both like to sleep in hammocks.
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Red Belly Poicephalus and a Meyers Poicephalus

Return to Toys, Accessories, and DIY