Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Avian Flight Suit for GCC not fitting?

Share ideas for making your own parrot toys. What are the best things for parrots to play with? Show pictures of parrots with toys.

Avian Flight Suit for GCC not fitting?

Postby faeclarinet » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:03 pm

Hello, I bought a Avian Fashions bird diaper/flight suit. I've been wanting to harness train my Green Cheek conure Ringo but I'm scared of him freaking out while putting on a harness.
I decided to purchase a flight suit for him in the Jr. Small size which they say fits green cheek conures well. I'm guessing Ringo is small for his species because there were big gaps when I put it on him and he just kept sticking his feet inside instead of through the holes. This thing did not fit well.
Has anyone else tried these? I believe Ringo is around 5 months old as he is just getting over a major molt. Are green cheeks still kind of small at that age?

:gcc:
faeclarinet
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Flight: Yes

Re: Avian Flight Suit for GCC not fitting?

Postby ParrotsForLife » Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:59 am

faeclarinet wrote:Hello, I bought a Avian Fashions bird diaper/flight suit. I've been wanting to harness train my Green Cheek conure Ringo but I'm scared of him freaking out while putting on a harness.
I decided to purchase a flight suit for him in the Jr. Small size which they say fits green cheek conures well. I'm guessing Ringo is small for his species because there were big gaps when I put it on him and he just kept sticking his feet inside instead of through the holes. This thing did not fit well.
Has anyone else tried these? I believe Ringo is around 5 months old as he is just getting over a major molt. Are green cheeks still kind of small at that age?

:gcc:

I got a size Medium it said was for cockatiels and it said size small was for Australian cockatiels but mine is a pearl pied and I got him medium same thing happened his feet were inside it so I sowed the straps and now its a perfect fit.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA

Postby Wolf » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:09 am

I may be wrong, it would not be the first time, but I thought that all cockatiels originated in Australia and that a pearl pied was just another color mutation albeit one of the least healthy varieties.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:48 am

Yes, pearl, pied, lutino, cinnamon, etc are all color mutations and have nothing to do with size - and yes, again, cockatiels are from Australia.

I can't help on the flight suit because I don't use them but, if he is going through a full molt, he is much older than 5 months because the first full molt happens after they are one year old (the very first molt they go through happens at around 6 months of age, it's called 'juvenile' and it's always a partial one).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby ParrotsForLife » Tue Oct 06, 2015 2:38 pm

Yes of course all tiels are Australian thats what everybody is getting confused by because on the website sizes it saids Australian.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA

Return to Toys, Accessories, and DIY