Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Food colouring to colour wood ?

Share ideas for making your own parrot toys. What are the best things for parrots to play with? Show pictures of parrots with toys.

Food colouring to colour wood ?

Postby Toggsy » Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:43 am

All the shop bought wooden toys seem to be brightly coloured was wondering wether using food coloring I could create the same effect using it to stain the wood like a wood wash effect also would be safe to use.
I can't see any reason why it shouldn't be ok as food colourings have to be safe for human consumption
Toggsy
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 34
Types of Birds Owned: Indian Ringnecks, celestial parrotlets

Budgies ,cockatiel finches, canaries, doves and Chinese Painted Quail
Kept in aviarys
Flight: Yes

Re: Food colouring to colour wood ?

Postby Pajarita » Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:06 pm

It's safe but I don't think it would last, right? I mean, wouldn't it wash out when you wash the toys?
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Toggsy » Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:46 pm

Any other suggestions on what else to use that's not toxic bit dubious about using paint on colour stains another sure if there's preservatives in it
Toggsy
Cockatiel

Kept in aviarys

Postby seagoatdeb » Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:45 pm

You should use food coloring that is safe for humans, for cake decorating, icing etc. There is more than one method for getting depth of color. You dont have to worry about cleaning them if you have a bird that chews them up. If your bird doesnt they can be removed and redyed after cleaning. you can use a gel color and mix it with a little water and paint it on....you can use a soak to color too...some peole use vinegar to set the color, it does smell though. google has lots of recipes for dying bird toys. I make most of my own toys. There are also groups on facebook of people that make toys and have lots of info. Many of them donate thier toys to rescues. Pm me if you want a link to the bird toy making group I am in.
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Red Belly Poicephalus and a Meyers Poicephalus

Postby Chantilly » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:58 pm

You could probably use certain vegies, herbs and plants?
Purple carrot, Indigo leaves (Don't know where youd get your hands this one..), Tumeric. Food colouring would be safe, but probably won't last, nor would this but they might like the flavour...
Food colouring would be easier though :thumbsup:
And anthough she be little, she is fierce ~Shakespeare
- Tilly & Shrek
Chantilly
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Cinnamon green cheek conure & Yellow Scaly x Rainbow lorikeet, Chickens & Ducks

Postby Wolf » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:34 am

I think that food color is your safest bet for dying your wood, I would avoid adding anything to flavor the wood as it could encourage them to ingest some of it which is not good for them.
I am a member of other parrot forums and know someone who makes colored toys for her Palm cockatoos, let me check with her to see what she uses and get back to you a little later.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Toggsy » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:02 am

Wolf wrote: I am a member of other parrot forums and know someone who makes colored toys for her Palm cockatoos, let me check with her to see what she uses and get back to you a little later.

Greatly appreciated :thumbsup: my stand could do with a bit of colour as it looks a bit bland
Toggsy
Cockatiel

Kept in aviarys

Postby seagoatdeb » Wed Nov 11, 2015 2:44 pm

You might end up like me with buckets of things being dyed... lol.I make my own toys, and I always have something on the go, I use coffee filters and cup cake liners to make foraging toys. I use cotton ropes to make Atoms. I cut up pine to make slabs. I use gel food coloring for cake icing. I usually soak mine in a mixture of the dye and water. For some items like perches, and coffe filter, I use a mix of the gel and water and paint it on. A lot of peolpe use isopropyle acohol to help set the dye, and they say it evaporates, but I am too cautious. Some people use vinegar, but it does make a strong smell. A stong mix of dye and water work and thats what I use.
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Red Belly Poicephalus and a Meyers Poicephalus

Return to Toys, Accessories, and DIY