Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Tilly's DIY Toy

Share ideas for making your own parrot toys. What are the best things for parrots to play with? Show pictures of parrots with toys.

Tilly's DIY Toy

Postby Chantilly » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:49 pm

Just wanted to show you what I made Tilly,

She has been having quite a ball destroying it (as was intended)

i used:
-jute (braided for strength)
-a bell
-shredding paper
-The wooden perch beads (I made)
Assembly:
I braided the jute, and attached the bell through the braid at the bottom with an O ring.
I slid on the wooden beads, and then cut safe brown paper into long strips, i tied them on ( to O ring) with jute, and did this twice in order to hide the bell.
then just cut the loose ends at the top and put another O ring, then a quicklink.
It is really quite funny watching Tilly try to hop up high to chew the paper, and then drop it then carry it back up then drop it....

Sorry... Poor quality image, it is pretty cute though.
Attachments
image.jpg
'I see paper, must de-stroys the paper..'
image.jpg (67.37 KiB) Viewed 7136 times
And anthough she be little, she is fierce ~Shakespeare
- Tilly & Shrek
Chantilly
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Cinnamon green cheek conure & Yellow Scaly x Rainbow lorikeet, Chickens & Ducks
Flight: Yes

Re: Tilly's DIY Toy

Postby Wolf » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:28 am

Great job, I do like this toy and am glad to hear that your Tilly loves it as well. As an aside, have you tried using sisal twine or those twisted paper strings for this or other toys? I think that sisal might have shorter fibers and I know that it is usually the preferred twine/ rope to use for birds. Just asking, that is still a great toy.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Chantilly » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:00 pm

Thankyou!! :D
I have been looking at this site: http://www.myparrotshop.com/index.php they have pretty much everything for toy making and its in Australia so postage should'nt be to bad, but I am not sure if the prices are... reasonable?
They have a great variety, but some of the stuff seems a bit overpriced, but then again it is definately safe for birds...,
Thankyou again Wolf and I will shop around a bit :) AndI hope you had a Happy Birthday!! :D :D
- Tilly & Shrek
Chantilly
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Cinnamon green cheek conure & Yellow Scaly x Rainbow lorikeet, Chickens & Ducks

Postby Wolf » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:44 am

Thank you, I usually don't give it much attention, it is just one of those things that happen to me, so I don't treat it as anything special.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Chantilly » Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:06 am

:) Alrighty then, sorry....
- Tilly & Shrek
Chantilly
Amazon

Postby Wolf » Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:18 am

I reckon that I need to apologise to you. My response was intended mostly in humor, I don't make the best comedian. I do appreciate you well wishing on my birthday, although I don't really celebrate it as I have never done that. Never had a birthday present or card in my life, the biggest thing that has ever happened was that sometimes I didn't have to work so I just don't pay it much attention. I suppose that it is just a side effect of growing up living on the streets since I was 7 years old.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Return to Toys, Accessories, and DIY