Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

DIY Toy Parts!

Share ideas for making your own parrot toys. What are the best things for parrots to play with? Show pictures of parrots with toys.

DIY Toy Parts!

Postby Chantilly » Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:50 pm

Trying to think of all the things we can find in our backyard, on walks and around the house that can be used as toy parts, my list isnt that big though and I am trying to figure out what I can add to it!
* 'Homemade' wooden beads from parrot safe branches
* Pinecones (havnt tried this yet)
* Coconut shell
* Coconut husk (We find whole coconuts at the beach and they love destroying the husk)
* Paper straws? /Mabye/
* Paper mache boxes
* Carboard rolls (Without the Glue! Baking paper ones usually dont have the glue.. but paper towel does)
* Brown paper bags
* Old toy parts
* Safe Palm leaves
*Macadamias in shell (Once again have not tried this, but today I realised that Tilly LOVES Macadamia like crazy, so if i got a whole one split it in half and drilled trough it, it could be mini foraging beads!)

Is their anything else you can think of that would make good toy parts, that you can find arount the house, backyard, or on bush/beach walks? Are (empty) Snail shells fine to make beads with? And is their anywthing on my list that I didn realise was bad???
Thankkkkkkssssss :thumbsup:
And anthough she be little, she is fierce ~Shakespeare
- Tilly & Shrek
Chantilly
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Cinnamon green cheek conure & Yellow Scaly x Rainbow lorikeet, Chickens & Ducks
Flight: Yes

Re: DIY Toy Parts!

Postby liz » Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:53 am

You have added many things that they would take too easily. Very creative but I think I would be leery of paper macha. It could get messy.
Mine love the part of a palm that is left when a leaf dies. They shred them and make a big mess but they are having fun so I just sweep it up. I wash them then hang them in the sun until they are dry to make sure they are not carrying bugs or bacteria.
Myrtle has been stripping the hull off a cocoanut but Rambo does not bother with them. :swaying: Tweetle Dee would work with a cocoanut for hours.
I also give them wooden spoon since they are clean enough for human food prep. Branches with leaves still on it's twigs are good for stripping.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Re: DIY Toy Parts!

Postby Chantilly » Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:51 pm

liz wrote:You have added many things that they would take too easily. Very creative but I think I would be leery of paper macha. It could get messy.
Mine love the part of a palm that is left when a leaf dies. They shred them and make a big mess but they are having fun so I just sweep it up. I wash them then hang them in the sun until they are dry to make sure they are not carrying bugs or bacteria.
Myrtle has been stripping the hull off a cocoanut but Rambo does not bother with them. :swaying: Tweetle Dee would work with a cocoanut for hours.
I also give them wooden spoon since they are clean enough for human food prep. Branches with leaves still on it's twigs are good for stripping.

Awesome thankyou Liz!
And anthough she be little, she is fierce ~Shakespeare
- Tilly & Shrek
Chantilly
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Cinnamon green cheek conure & Yellow Scaly x Rainbow lorikeet, Chickens & Ducks

Return to Toys, Accessories, and DIY