Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Playstand

Share ideas for making your own parrot toys. What are the best things for parrots to play with? Show pictures of parrots with toys.

Re: Playstand

Postby JessiMuse » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:22 pm

Thanks Wolf. I really hate trying to advertise stuff and try not to make it seem like I am, but I really think some of the toys and such are worth checking out, for those looking for some good quality stuff for their parrots.

FedEx said that it was actually delivered to my front door today. Unfortunately I'm still at college, so I can't check. I sent a message to my dad asking him to check for me. Hoping he's there to do so, because sometimes people will steal packages that are sitting at the front door.
JessiMuse
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Pionus, Cockatiel, dove, mannikin finch
Flight: Yes

Postby JessiMuse » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:23 pm

It came in. I've yet to unpack it and put it together though. I'll show pictures once I do though. :)
JessiMuse
Conure

Postby JessiMuse » Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:19 pm

Whelp, the thing doesn't even come with instructions, and one of the main ladders is broken. Talk about a let down.

Hopefully the super glue will stay, but my dad said it'll have to sit all night, so I can't build until tomorrow.

I want to know who the heck in FedEx messed up in delivering this. It's supposed to be durable!

Additionally, a friend of mine ordered the same thing with many broken parts to the point where she might need it to be sent back altogether.

Wolf, if you want to delete the post with the $10 off link, you can. The website might not be as good as I thought. Either that, or it was a mistake FedEx made.

This is why I like buying bird stuff at the store. I can often handle the product before I can tell if it's good or not. If it comes in a box and one of the parts is broken, I could return it and it won't take me several days to get a new one (depending on if it's in stock or not).

I guess it's not as big of a deal as I'm making it sound, but... It's just such a disappointment. I get this neat looking thing that looks like it has everything I want in that kind of product, and it comes in broken and with missing pieces. The pieces also don't seem to be adjustable at all like it said on the website, and while it says the parts are interchangeable for different set ups, it's really designed to be set up one way with only slight variations.

At this point I'm just nitpicking and ranting over pointless things, so you can ignore all that. I'm just a slight bit irritated. This was the first bird product I ever bought online, and might as well be the last from that website.
JessiMuse
Conure

Postby shiraartain » Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:09 am

No, it's not pointless. It's important information. I would leave a review on the product site, as it sounds like the product itself isn't too good since you and your friend both received broken stands. Thanks for the update. I'll try and get you some pictures of our old stand, I think you would like it. Maybe you and your dad could put something similar together.
shiraartain
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure, Quaker, Ringneck

Postby Wolf » Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:37 am

No, I am not deleting anything. Reason one is that if I did the post would no longer make sense. Secondly, if you are smart you are not finished with either this topic or with the company. And so I am going to ask you a couple of questions and probably have a couple of comments and some where in that will be a suggested course of action.

What was the condition of the box? If it was bent or banged up then it may have been Fed/ Ex that is responsible. So you would need to call them to report this.

By the way do not attempt to make any repairs yet.

If the box was in good condition then you need to go to the web page that you ordered from and e mail the company or find their phone number and call then and explain your problem. They should get right on fixing the problem.

It is very doubtful that the company that you ordered this from manufactured the product. They may not even have boxed it except for shipping it. So this could have been a manufacturer issue that whoever packed the item just did not see when they packed it.

Give the company the opportunity to correct the problem as I am sure they will put a rush on fixing this problem and then post about all of this and then also let us know about it when the toy has been all put together.

Have your friend do the same things.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby JessiMuse » Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:04 pm

Oops. It's too late for that. :lol: It has since then been repaired and built. My mom called them though, and they said they'll send the new part if I email a picture of the piece, and the section that it had to be glued at.

Perhaps I did overreact. The break wasn't even that bad. I was just having a crap day overall yesterday, and it really didn't help my headache. Chances are it was a manufacturing error, because the box doesn't appear to have any kind of damage.

But since the birds have had time on it, I should probably give a proper review.

It was actually packed really well. Came in a big box, and inside was another box. Then a layer of bubble wrap, and then a layer of thin plastic wrap. Took a little bit to get into. It was also rather organized, so I was surprised that there was a broken piece.
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f286/ ... geolgr.jpg

While I was waiting for the piece to dry, I decided to let the birds check out the rest of the pieces. Alex was afraid, and wanted to hide in my hair. Lucy however, being the curious busy-butt that she is, decided to check them out.
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f286/ ... k6rvho.jpg
The piece didn't take nearly as long to dry as I thought. When it looked to be fine, I started building. Despite the lack of instructions, it was simple enough to figure it out. So when I got to building, Lucy flew away and Alex became interested (They switch behaviors like that a lot).
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f286/ ... qxjzbt.jpg
Getting the four main latters together was a little tricky. Not so much figuring out where they go, but when I would try to put one in, another would slip out. When I did get them together and started putting the toys on, Alex climbed up one side all by himself. :D
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f286/ ... sseavu.jpg
But then Lucy flew back to the table to see what was going on, and Alex once again decided it was terrifying. :lol:

There's actually quite a few opportunities to adjust and rearrange. The parts are interchangeable, so it is possible to set it up differently. I just decided to base it off the picture on the though.
In the end, Lucy really liked it, and Alex decided it was more fun to play with the spare attachment parts. :lol: He's like the kid that will ignore the cool toy you get for him, and plays with the box instead (literally). Aside from the broken piece, it does seem fairly durable.

Putting the rant from last night aside, I'm gonna talk about a few downsides.
It is a little wobbly, but not enough for the birds to use it. This is most likely made for small birds like budgies, but might not be suitable for anything larger than a cockatiel or grreen cheek conure. The pieces slide in and out easily, and while that is good for putting together, not so much if you want the smaller pieces to stay in. Might not be the best for foot-users either, or at least make sure the nails aren't too long. Lucy got her foot caught in a little string toy that has two acylic logs attached on both ends (She's due for a nail trimming though).

Lucy loves it though, and while she still wants to get into things she shouldn't get into, it does keep her busy, and that's exactly what I got it for. Alex decides that he likes to be on me rather than on the playstand, and having one nosey butt isn't so bad, if the other nosey butt doesn't decide that she would prefer to be doing whatever the first nosey butt is doing.

Putting them back on a playstand every few minutes is better than constantly shooing them away from the keyboard though. I was able to get out of their sight without them noticing though, which is pretty good (they usually come and look for me).

Pros:
Easy to put together
Fairly durable
A lot of good toys
Interchangeable pieces capable of setting up different ways.

Cons:
The pieces slide out very easily
Somewhat wobbly
Might not be suitable for anything bigger than a small conure.

So is it worth it? Only if you think the pros outweigh the cons. Hopefully whoever buys it doesn't end up with manufacturing errors. It keeps the busy-butts fairly busy, which is good. :lol: I'd say it achieved the goal it was made for.

Overall, it's alright. The birds like it, and that's all that matters for me.

Oddly enough, I noticed it was cheaper on the bonka bird toy website than on the brand's website (Which is King's Cages). Then again, it's still on sale on Bonka Bird Toys.
JessiMuse
Conure

Postby Chantilly » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:39 am

The photos are adorable! Lucy and Alex are sooo cute! :D
And anthough she be little, she is fierce ~Shakespeare
- Tilly & Shrek
Chantilly
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Cinnamon green cheek conure & Yellow Scaly x Rainbow lorikeet, Chickens & Ducks

Postby Wolf » Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:27 am

Couple of cheap tricks or Helpful hints from Heloise type things,,,, Try giving the pieces a little twist when pushing them together to seat them, it works well on cpvc water pipes too. If that doesn't tighten it up enough try putting a piece of toilet tissue over the end of a pipe section and then putting the coupler over that and give it a little twist while assembling it. Probably the reason for no instruction was that the parts are interchangeable and you can put it together about any way that you want.
And one silly thought, if you like it and either of the cheap tricks work to tighten it up, you could probably make it larger by getting more of them and putting them together into one large playstand.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Love my Playstand

Postby Screech » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:46 pm

I got the Table Perch Long Laster and the Java Double Tower from Bird Cages 4 Less. http://birdcages4less.com/page/B/PROD/P ... nds/PA0445 Both are on the screened-in back porch. I'm in FL, so it's rare that it's too cold out there. I keep the table perch on top of waxed,paper on a plastic table we have out there....any metal would rust immediately. Then I hang the Java Double Tower from the ceiling and he flies back and forth all day. I feed him all his perishable food and treats out there, so really only clean his cage every 3 or 4 days. Jeeps things neat and tidy indoors....I mean as neat and tidy as,it can be with a small, energetic parrot. He's really only in his cage to sleep and is we're not home. He goes,to bed at dusk when all the other birdies go to bed. We have a wild,flock of GCGs in our neighborhood. Screech stops what he's doing when he hears them fly by.
Screech
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Sun Conure

Postby liz » Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:20 pm

Jessi, your ranting post sounded a little like my posts. The difference is that I usually forget what the subject is and end on a different one or just plain give up on it. It is kind of like my Italian Grandmother who would start in English, switch to Italian then back to English. She did not know she was doing it so she must have been discusted when I did not understand. Oh, and I also can't spell. Wolf, Pajarita and most of the other members cut this old lady some slack.

You birds are real sweeties. Are they from the same clutch? That is a nice toy you picked for them and it seems to be chew proof.
I am a little envious too of you "young 'uns" who can post pictures in with what you are saying. I don't seem to be able to learn that. Heck, I don't even know how to cut and paste.

See what I mean about my ranting. You will have to get old before you can do it as good as I can.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

PreviousNext

Return to Toys, Accessories, and DIY