Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Bottle vs. bowl

Share ideas for making your own parrot toys. What are the best things for parrots to play with? Show pictures of parrots with toys.

Bottle vs. bowl

Postby JessiMuse » Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:41 pm

So I'm curious on what you guys prefer. Some people get their birds to drink from a bottle, much like rodents and other small animals do. I can see why. The birds can't get in it, nor can they poop in it (unless if they really try to land it on the drinking part), so changing is not required.

At the same time though, with the dryer food we feed our birds, they lack the ability to soak it. It would also seem unnatural, especially to birds that would usually get in the water they drink in the wild.

It would also be a difficult transition for many, if one were to switch to a bottle. I could probably see a lory transitioning fairly easily since they drink nectar from flowers in the wild, but other than that, I don't think a lot of birds would take to it easily.

Thoughts?
JessiMuse
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Pionus, Cockatiel, dove, mannikin finch
Flight: Yes

Re: Bottle vs. bowl

Postby shiraartain » Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:37 pm

I prefer a bowl, mostly because we don't have a bottle brush at my house and its very easy to clean. Also, if there is a bowl, I'm more likely to change it regularly because the birds drop food, etc. In it, while a bottle appears clean so I'd be more likely to get lazy about it.

So basically, I chose it based on my own tendencies, rather than my birds :P.

I do think a bottle should be available through- ours came in handy when Fajr hurt his leg and it couldn't get wet.
shiraartain
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure, Quaker, Ringneck

Postby liz » Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:59 pm

I don't approve of bottles for anything but hamsters and mice. They are small enough that a drop at a time is worthwhile.
I don't even like drinking from a straw. When I want a drink I want a drink. I would not deprive any of a good drink when they are thirsty. (hamsters and mice need bowls when it is hot)
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby marie83 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:39 am

Neither. I prefer the dispensers- easy to get water out for them to drink, harder for them to drop food in.

They have a separate bowl for bathing which is offered regularly.
marie83
Cockatoo

Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure

Postby ParrotsForLife » Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:54 pm

Bowls are way better stainless steel bowls.They are easy to clean so what if they poop in them just clean it, my birds never poop in their water anyway the only bad thing that happened to their water was a dead newborn mouse in it.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA

Postby Wolf » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:56 pm

I prefer to use a bowl for water even though I must change it out more frequently. When I watch my birds drinking water it appears to me like they mostly scoop up the water with their lower beak. However, it appears to me that they may also be able to lap the water up. I do not like water bottles because it is not their natural way of drinking water and a birds that does not know how to drink water naturally may die from dehydration more quickly than one that drinks normally should it ever escape from you. But the main reason that I don't like water bottles is that the sipper tube is very hard to clean properly.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Chantilly » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:57 am

I agree, definately bowls. And i agree with the bottle that I would get lazy and just go 'Ah it can wait till tomorow'.. but tomorow never comes.
While your cleaning everything in the cage each morning (fruit dish/nectar/seed/paper)the bowl are not a pain to clean while you are at it. :thumbsup:
Also I think it is a much more natural way to present it to the birds , and in the bottle they will may not see it as a source of water.
Sorry I am not trying to intrude the post but wo things I have been wondering though are:
*Rainwater that possibly has germs and parisites (and wrigglies!!!) (what me and my family drink at home, we live on tank water) or..
*Bottled town water with chemicals and all that rubish?
also for water a stainless bowl or a plasic bowl?
:D :thumbsup:
And anthough she be little, she is fierce ~Shakespeare
- Tilly & Shrek
Chantilly
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Cinnamon green cheek conure & Yellow Scaly x Rainbow lorikeet, Chickens & Ducks

Postby marie83 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:04 am

Chantilly, you can get water filters that will remove chemicals and parasites from bottled or rain water. There are 3 types of filter but if you go for distilled you need to add the minerals back in.
I've just got a gravity filter with filters small enough to remove crazy small particles.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stainless-Gravi ... B005193I5Y

Tbh I didn't think it would make any difference at all but the water does taste so much better
marie83
Cockatoo

Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure

Postby Pajarita » Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:10 pm

Stainless steel bowls, no doubt about it!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Wolf » Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:01 am

Usually not many parasites found in rain water especially if you let the rain rinse things off first, same with chemicals as long as it rains for 15 to twenty minutes before you collect which gives it time to rinse off surfaces as well as to clear out most airborne pollutants.

Ground water is a different ball game. Water filters are the best way to deal with this type of water. My water comes from a spring that fills a 1000 gallon tank with an overflow outlet so the water is kept fresh. I installed filters in the house that I change out now and then I originally put the filter in because the cats and dogs were getting kidney stones and then the filter ended that, but I inspected the water system and found that the spring water was feeding into an old very small concrete cistern that was falling apart. This was the source of the stones, so I replaced the entire water system with new waterlines from the spring to the brand new sealed 1000 gallon water tank and then the lines from the tank to the pump and then I replumbed the entire house up to the water filters. I have not had I problem since although I get the water tested every now and then.

The main thing with hauling your own water in a tank is to sanitize the tank each time before refilling it. This will reduce the chances of any biological contamination. I would use ordinary household bleach provided it does not have and added scents or stuff and then allow the tank to dry. Any remaining bleach will dissipate in a few hours after filling.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Next

Return to Toys, Accessories, and DIY