Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

removing mirror for taming

Share ideas for making your own parrot toys. What are the best things for parrots to play with? Show pictures of parrots with toys.

removing mirror for taming

Postby stevenn21 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:54 pm

removing mirror for taming that is what i read in my new book taming and training amazon parrots.

i have a 4month old indian redneck not an amazon but just reading up on taming.

is this cruel removing the mirror it doesnt sound right to me
stevenn21
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: indian ringneck
Flight: Yes

Re: removing mirror for taming

Postby Michael » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:19 pm

What mirror?
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby stevenn21 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:20 pm

the mirror in the cage
stevenn21
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: indian ringneck

Postby Wolf » Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:36 pm

I don't really care for mirrors in my birds cage, but that is not because of training issues it has to do with hormonal issues and if your bird is not having those then the mirror is not an issue. Taming a bird is all about trust, specifically showing the bird that you want to be its friend, that you are not going to hurt it and that you bring it good things so that it decides that you can be trusted. If the bird trusts you then it will want to spend time with and on you. This is normally started by watching the bird by looking at it with your head at a 45 degree angle from the bird so that you are not looking directly at it like predators do. it involves moving closer to the birds cage in a round about manner but only when the bird is relaxed and taking a step or two back away if the bird starts getting nervous. Then moving closer once again when the bird relaxes. While you are doing this you need to be talking nicely to your bird, using its name a lot and giving it a lot of " good bird" type of praise using a coaxing tone of voice and even singing softly to the bird as they really love music. Then when you get to the cage using this method to start offering it a treat ( sprig type millet is often a good choice to begin with). It is great if the bird will come and take a few bites from you through the bars of its cage ( offer it at the highest perch in the cage at first), if it does not take any of it then break of a piece of it and place it in its food dish. Talk to it softly and leave come back in an hour or so and try doing this again. Keep doing this until the bird will take a couple of bites of the millet that you are holding. The bird might do this the first time or it may take several days but it will happen. Let me know when it does and I will help you through the next step in gaining your birds trust. You should do this two or three times a day if you can. The rest of the time for now can be spent across the room from the bird and again just talking and even singing to it , or watching TV with it as long as you talk to it too and every now and then walking over slowly and leaving a piece of its favorite food in its food dish and walking back away. All of this will help the bird understand that you want to be its friend and that you bring good things to eat for it when you come over to see it. This will help to build trust.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Return to Toys, Accessories, and DIY