Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Making Toys

Share ideas for making your own parrot toys. What are the best things for parrots to play with? Show pictures of parrots with toys.

Making Toys

Postby beakycheekie » Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:14 pm

Hello all,
I'm feeling crafty and would love to get into making some parrot toys. I know that you can get supplies from Bird Safe Store but it's a little pricey. Does anyone know of any other place that you can get bird toy supplies from (you know, they can be objects not necessarily intended to be bird toys but that are safe and fun to turn into them)?
Along the same lines, how do I know what materials are "bird safe"? It makes me nervous to think of making toys without knowing if the material could be hazardous.

Thanks for any input! :swaying:
“For me, the sight of a parrot living alone, living in a cage, deprived of flight, miserably bored, breaks my heart. And the parrot’s too, perhaps.”

— Jane Goodall
beakycheekie
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: Budgies
Cockatiels
Flight: Yes

Re: Making Toys

Postby sunconuresunny00 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:05 am

Hey there I want to do the same thing just YouTube it there are many videos about making safe bird toys!!!
sunconuresunny00
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: sun conure

Postby Wolf » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:38 am

Well if you are thinking about woods to use for making toys out of Generally speaking, for small birds such as budgies, parrotlets and cockatiels balsa and thin, less than 1/4 in. in thickness, white pine or fir are usually a pretty safe bet. for larger birds up to the size of an Amazon white pine and fir are again a good choice and for larger birds you will need to switch to hardwoods for at least some of them. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=12521 This has several lists that you will find useful including woods and plants that are safe and toxic as well as household items and of course foods. The actual lists begin on the second page of the topic.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby beakycheekie » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:56 am

Thank you Sunconuresunny and thanks a lot Wolf!! I went to a bird fair this weekend and there was a couple there that were selling absolutely gorgeous bird toys and perches, all made by themselves. It was really incredible to see how creative and talented some people are and it made me feel good to support a small, home-based business. It also inspired me to want to make my own bird goodies for my all my chickies! :pied:
“For me, the sight of a parrot living alone, living in a cage, deprived of flight, miserably bored, breaks my heart. And the parrot’s too, perhaps.”

— Jane Goodall
beakycheekie
Cockatiel

Cockatiels

Postby Pajarita » Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:30 pm

In my personal experience, when it comes to budgies, nothing (but NOTHING!) beats dried yucca (what they call 'kabobs') - the bigger the better!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby beakycheekie » Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:53 pm

Ahhh, yucca! Ok, I will go get some! Thanks! :thumbsup:

— Jane Goodall
beakycheekie
Cockatiel

Cockatiels

Return to Toys, Accessories, and DIY