Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

A good cockatoo perch?

Share ideas for making your own parrot toys. What are the best things for parrots to play with? Show pictures of parrots with toys.

Re: A good cockatoo perch?

Postby Pajarita » Sun May 08, 2016 11:18 am

Both Linus and Freddy LOVE these perches - I don't put them in the 'roosting' spot (I use sweetfeet for that) but they use them during the day. These days they are not chewing on the perches though, they are chewing boxes so I put pieces of wood in them for them to chew.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby Navre » Sun May 08, 2016 12:00 pm

I've seen 2x4 and even 2x6 used for Hyacinth macaws. It just makes sense. I'm going to pick up some hanger bolts today and see what I can come up with.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Mon May 09, 2016 9:47 am

Mine are very simple (the only way my husband can make them as he is the most unhandy man ever :lol:). Just the piece of wood with a hole drilled in the middle of one end, one of those screws that have no head (Wolf gaves us the name but I forget), two big metal washers and the appropriate size wingnut. That's it! Takes 2 minutes to make - which is a good thing because they don't really last very long.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Navre » Mon May 09, 2016 2:01 pm

I just put one made with a 2x3 into Cheerios cage. He went right to it and started chewing. It spans the whole width of the cage, so it is secured on both sides.

I made one for a chewy blue and gold, too. I'll put it in on Wednesday.

To quote Dante from Clerks, I'm not even supposed to be here today.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Tue May 10, 2016 10:19 am

AHA! SUCCESS! I tell you, with parrots and when it comes to toys, the simplest things work just as well as the complicated ones.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Loriusgarrulus » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:32 am

We have those sort of screws with machine screw on one end and wood screw on the other. They are called dowell screws here and I get them in stainless steel with the stainless washers and wing nuts to make perches.
Growing Old Disgracefully
Loriusgarrulus
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Yellow backed chattering lory: Kanga
Blackheaded caique: Tupi
Yellow thighed caique: Karo

Postby liz » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:07 am

I save metal jar lids and run them through my dishwasher. I poke holes in them and use them as big washers to hold perches that are heavy and need the weight distributed over more bars.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

Postby Loriusgarrulus » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:31 am

Another way to make a perch easy to remove is use a metal bar with a hole in the middle on the outside.
The bar can be as long as you need to support the perch, but narrower than the bar spacing.
You then only have to loosen the end nuts slightly to twist the bar and slide it out from between the cage bars.
Growing Old Disgracefully
Loriusgarrulus
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Yellow backed chattering lory: Kanga
Blackheaded caique: Tupi
Yellow thighed caique: Karo

Postby Navre » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:32 am

Pajarita wrote:Mine are very simple (the only way my husband can make them as he is the most unhandy man ever :lol:). Just the piece of wood with a hole drilled in the middle of one end, one of those screws that have no head (Wolf gaves us the name but I forget), two big metal washers and the appropriate size wingnut. That's it! Takes 2 minutes to make - which is a good thing because they don't really last very long.

Hanger bolts! Home Depot sells them in many sizes and in stainless steel. You might have to go to several stores to find the ones you want. They're not too popular in stainless. I suppose I could order the ones I want.
Navre
African Grey

Hooded Parrot

Previous

Return to Toys, Accessories, and DIY