Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

The "Parrot Tower" Gym

Share ideas for making your own parrot toys. What are the best things for parrots to play with? Show pictures of parrots with toys.

Re: The "Parrot Tower" Gym

Postby Michael » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:13 am

Lisa wrote:Hello:

I really do understand what you are saying about getting two rather then one, however I have seen and spoke to alot of people who have the birds on the same play stand, so that is why I am writing this. I can see why you would say to get a second one due to that the birds may not get along and you would not know this until you introduce them and yes you have two give them time to get to know each other.

just some thoughts

Lisa

There is a big difference. I have heard of people with similar species or compatible species getting along. For instance someone with a pair of cockatiels or some budgies (but even there's no guarantee). However, you're looking not only at mixing size, continent, and species, but also mixing age and establishment. You see the first bird will be more established and territorial. How it will play out no one can know until it does. Most likely you'll need two stands and if you get lucky, eventually you'll start seeing them staying on one together if they want to. However, you'll always have the comfort of knowing that the other bird can go back to the other stand if it feels threatened.

As you may know I'm in the process of adding a Brown Necked Parrot (Cape) to my established Senegal Parrot. I am buying a separate tree for the new bird not only because of the size difference but also because of established territories by the Senegal Parrot. Even if the Cape can use the Senegal's stands, I want to make sure the Cape has at least one place that only the Cape ever goes on and not the Senegal so it can feel Secure on it's own stand. I am planning to visit Kings Cages this Saturday and may be buying cage/tree now even though I'm not getting the Cape till June. I want to set up the cage and tree and get my Senegal Parrot used to NOT going on them so that when I introduce the new Cape, the Senegal Parrot won't even try to get in its way.

I may be over thinking this or it may just be that Pois are more aggressive/territorial. But in coming months I'll find out how it goes and keep everyone posted.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Postby kellybird » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:30 pm

I just bought one of these, the large macaw size and with the ortho branches because it had a lifetime warranty against chewing and I have major problems with my greenwing chewing up perches!! My amazon loves it too! I am very pleased with it so far and for the price. I used to have a huge manzanita tree but we took it apart and used it in there new aviary. Here is a pic of the tower. Okay dont know how to upload pics yet, dont know if it worked???

kellybird
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Greenwing Macaw, Blue-fronted Amazon, 2 Meyers Parrots, Senegal

Postby Michael » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:40 pm

I fixed the upload for you so we could see the larger image. If you click edit on that post you can see the codes I used so you know what to do in the future. Basically just copy the image URL and paste it in the forum. Hilight the url in the posting window and click "Img" button on top.

As for the lifetime warranty, I don't know if they offer to replace the perches whenever they get chewed up or if they make them so hard (kryptonite perhaps?) that they cannot be chewed. I hope it's not that they are so strong they can't be chewed because the parrots need to chew. I guess though, it's better that you hang chewey toys and wood to chew than the more expensive stand because they are cheaper to replace. However, I know from my parrot that I replace perches in her cage almost as frequently as toys because she prefers to chew the perches even more than they toys. There's just something about chewing some natural looking branches that appeals so much to them.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby Natacha » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:16 pm

Michael wrote:As for the lifetime warranty, I don't know if they offer to replace the perches whenever they get chewed up or if they make them so hard (kryptonite perhaps?) that they cannot be chewed. I hope it's not that they are so strong they can't be chewed because the parrots need to chew.

Oh those perches can be chewed! My mom has had a fair number destroyed by her cockatoos and greys.

I have two table top versions of the parrot tower, one I got for free when I bought a used cage from someone. A good wash and it was like new (I doubt any of her birds used it).

I enjoy them, but I do prefer the java table stands/tree I have; the looks is better and they feel more natural than the plastic.
My blog http://poiworld.blogspot.com/
Videos of my birds http://www.youtube.com/user/poicephaluslady
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied parrots
Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's parrots
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot

Postby kellybird » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:44 pm

thanks Michael! The "ortho" branches do feel like plastic and are not very realistic but I chose them not only because I didnt want the "playgym" area to be destroyed but because of ease to clean. They are nonpourous and I loved the fact of easy wipe clean and sanitary. In the picture I do not have many toys hanging as I just purchased it and put my birds on for the first time but I do offer many "chew" toys that they destroy and play with. I am actually getting back into my old bird toy business I started when I was 16 over 15 years ago. So I have lots of destructable would, lava rocks etc. Inside there cages are manzanita which all my birds destroy even though its a hardwood. This is there out of cage play time area where they can stretch there wings etc.
kellybird
Cockatiel

Types of Birds Owned: Greenwing Macaw, Blue-fronted Amazon, 2 Meyers Parrots, Senegal

Postby Lisa » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:48 pm

Hello:

I have looked at this tower, but I did not see how you can add toys to it, maybe I am missing something or do you have to find a way of attaching toys to it yourself?
just wondering because I only saw to spots with rings on them to hold a toy

Lisa
Lisa
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: jenday conure
Flight: No

Postby kellybird » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:00 pm

it comes with eye bolts that you can easily screw onto any of the branches (there is a tiny hole underneath each branch) and you just hang toys on those eye bolts. It actually came with 2 toys which I didnt know when I purchased it. So far I really like it!
kellybird
Cockatiel

Postby CheekyandMalolo » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:28 pm

for our Red Wing and our Princess Parrot, we have a tree branch that dropped, that dad mounted onto a timber base, in most of the smaller branches on this branch he's drilled holes that we can put fresh leaves, nuts, food etc onto. our boys LOVE forages on it, we fill it in gum leaves and they think they've got they're own gum tree.
Aurora - Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure
o'Tika - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure
Malolo - Cinnamon Pied Cockatiel
Tim - Red Wing Parrot
Prince - Blue Princess Parrot
Cheeky - Green Cheek Conure(RIP)
CheekyandMalolo
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel x 2
Princess Parrot
Red Wing Parrot