Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

The "Parrot Tower" Gym

Share ideas for making your own parrot toys. What are the best things for parrots to play with? Show pictures of parrots with toys.

The "Parrot Tower" Gym

Postby pfinarffle » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:55 am

Just saw a DVD on "Captive Foraging" and would like our Sennie to have a foraging tree of some sort. Live in an apartment, so space is at a premium. Saw one of these: http://www.windycityparrot.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=70302951004&gdftrk=gdfV21151_a_7c369_a_7c1858_a_7c70302951004

Anyone have one? Seems like it'd be easy to clean and interchange pieces to mix things up a bit over time. In the ideal world, I'd want a manzanita or some such tree. But those are very pricey. Also, the video was calling for like 5 - 6 food cup stations per bird on each tree. :shock: But this might possibly be the next best thing. Thought I'd ask for others' experiences. Thanks!
pfinarffle
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal parrot
Flight: Yes

Re: The "Parrot Tower" Gym

Postby Mona » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:09 pm

I have the bigger one on roll around wheels. I like it because it is easy to move around, there are plenty of perches and I have toys and chewables hanging every where.

Thx
Mona in Seattle
Phinneous Fowl (aka Phinney) TAG
Babylon Sengal
Doug (spousal unit)
Jack and Bailey (Gremlins)
Kiri (CAG)
http://www.flyingparrotsinside.com

youtube: Avian Flyers
Mona
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrots, Congo African Grey, Timneh African Grey

Postby oknuma » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:29 pm

i know quite a few people on another site who have them and love them.
wish we could get them here in nz
~~Oknuma - mum to two human kids, 1 feathered kid and one furry kid~~
oknuma
Cockatiel

Types of Birds Owned: Currently Eastern Rosella - Batman

Postby pfinarffle » Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:08 am

Thanks! Just ordered the table top model. Will review with my experiences when it arrives...
pfinarffle
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal parrot

Postby HyperD » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:00 am

I have ordered some wood to try and make one of these myself.. If it works I would have saved a lot of money :)

They do seem good but to me they are a bit pricey.... And one made out of wood would look nicer and probably be better for them...

I plan to make a tutorial as there doesnt seem to be any on the web.
HyperD
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal

Postby greymatter » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:45 pm

We had one of these Parrot Towers for about 4 months before I gave up on it and purchased one with wood dowel perches and a metal frame instead (a Jungle talk one...YEARS ago).

Merlin was just a baby (African grey), and by the time he was 6 months old, he had chewed through 4 of the perches! I was not impressed. He's not the biggest chewer (he's really good with his toys/us), so this surprised me.

So away it went (I know, you can get replacement perches...but if he did this much damage at 6 months...).

I'm sure it works for some birds, but it just wasn't happening for us.
"You be good...I love you...see you tomorrow" - Alex the Grey
greymatter
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: African Grey Parrot, Caique, Cockatiel
Flight: No

Postby Lisa » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:21 pm

greymatter wrote:We had one of these Parrot Towers for about 4 months before I gave up on it and purchased one with wood dowel perches and a metal frame instead (a Jungle talk one...YEARS ago).

Merlin was just a baby (African grey), and by the time he was 6 months old, he had chewed through 4 of the perches! I was not impressed. He's not the biggest chewer (he's really good with his toys/us), so this surprised me.

So away it went (I know, you can get replacement perches...but if he did this much damage at 6 months...).

I'm sure it works for some birds, but it just wasn't happening for us.

hello everyone:

we just got a conure, and we have not taken him home yet, still looking for a parrot play stand, I have looked online also the store where I got the conure, I had an idea at which one I was going to get, however in the back of my mind I may in the future get a small to med cockatoo, as when I first went into look I was looking at a cockatoo that was in on consignment and when I went back in 2 days later she was sold. My husband is the one that started looking at the conure and we got one of the last birds in that group and I think the other bird was the senegel, which was the only one, and was put in with our group of conure.
what I am saying is when I get a playstand I want to get one that is big enough for a second bird, for the future as we are not made of money and they are not cheap.
if you know where i can get one some websites would be great, and I have looked at a number of them, but still come up with website I have not seen.

thanks

Lisa
Lisa
Parrotlet

Types of Birds Owned: jenday conure

Postby Michael » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:47 pm

I would absolutely not count on two parrots (especially of different sizes) sharing the same stand. That's an accident waiting to happen. Buy a simpler or cheaper pair of stands for two birds rather than expecting them to share. I bought Kili a small climbing tree for just over $100 and it's been great.

I don't have a good picture of her tree but here it is when I was washing it:

http://www.birdtricks.com/blog/wp-conte ... 24x576.jpg

For a cockatoo you'd need something much bigger which would probably run you in the $200-$400 range. But at least for now you can get a cheaper stand for your conure and worry about the cockatoo stand when you get to it.

I don't know how good this site it but someone recommended it to me and I am considering buying a cage and tree for my upcoming Cape from there. I'll let you know how it works out if I buy before you do:

http://www.kingscages.com/
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby Lisa » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:56 am

Hello:

I really do understand what you are saying about getting two rather then one, however I have seen and spoke to alot of people who have the birds on the same play stand, so that is why I am writing this. I can see why you would say to get a second one due to that the birds may not get along and you would not know this until you introduce them and yes you have two give them time to get to know each other.

just some thoughts

Lisa
Lisa
Parrotlet

Postby Lisa » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:00 am

Michael wrote:I would absolutely not count on two parrots (especially of different sizes) sharing the same stand. That's an accident waiting to happen. Buy a simpler or cheaper pair of stands for two birds rather than expecting them to share. I bought Kili a small climbing tree for just over $100 and it's been great.

I don't have a good picture of her tree but here it is when I was washing it:

http://www.birdtricks.com/blog/wp-conte ... 24x576.jpg

For a cockatoo you'd need something much bigger which would probably run you in the $200-$400 range. But at least for now you can get a cheaper stand for your conure and worry about the cockatoo stand when you get to it.

I don't know how good this site it but someone recommended it to me and I am considering buying a cage and tree for my upcoming Cape from there. I'll let you know how it works out if I buy before you do:

http://www.kingscages.com/

thank you for the site of Kings cages, this is one site I did not come across

Lisa
Lisa
Parrotlet

Next

Return to Toys, Accessories, and DIY