Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Store bought toys containg lead

Share ideas for making your own parrot toys. What are the best things for parrots to play with? Show pictures of parrots with toys.

Store bought toys containg lead

Postby seagoatdeb » Sun May 15, 2016 5:33 pm

I wanted to mention that there have been cases of store bought toys for parrots, with dyes and paints that contain lead. These are comming from China and are sold through Walmart, Petco, Ebay, Amazon and other places. You can purchase a lead testing kit for any store bought toys you are suspicious about.
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Red Belly Poicephalus and a Meyers Poicephalus
Flight: Yes

Re: Store bought toys containg lead

Postby Pajarita » Mon May 16, 2016 10:01 am

Personally, I think it's easier just staying away from cheap Chinese stuff...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby ParrotsForLife » Mon May 16, 2016 10:18 am

If I see a good looking cheap toy ill get it so a lead testing kit could be helpful.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA

Postby seagoatdeb » Mon May 16, 2016 2:12 pm

i make my own and so i know whats in it, but many people buy from stores and i ran into this information in another group. They are not always clearly marked they are made in China. So i hoped this information would help people here a lot. Also the toys are not always cheap, the same toy may be cheap on Ebay but more expensive in different store, so you cant just go on the price. If the toy is marked as using food grade dyes you are safe.
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Postby Pajarita » Tue May 17, 2016 10:44 am

Well, I would say that if the toy is made in USA (or Canada or UK) and it says that they only use food grade and safe materials, you should be safe but if the toy is made in China, no 'it's safe' label is going to convince me because there have been all kinds of products here in US that were certified to be safe in China and/or in compliance with safety laws here and found to be lies. I am not normally a prejudiced person but there have been too many things with China that are not on the level...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby seagoatdeb » Tue May 17, 2016 3:31 pm

Pajarita wrote:Well, I would say that if the toy is made in USA (or Canada or UK) and it says that they only use food grade and safe materials, you should be safe but if the toy is made in China, no 'it's safe' label is going to convince me because there have been all kinds of products here in US that were certified to be safe in China and/or in compliance with safety laws here and found to be lies. I am not normally a prejudiced person but there have been too many things with China that are not on the level...

I have lead testing kits and I test everything for the parrots and even my own dishes. Lead is bad.
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Postby Wolf » Sat May 28, 2016 6:41 am

I don't purchase any brightly colored toys for anywhere for my birds and since I have six acres of trees to pick an choose from, I tend to make my own toys and most of their perches. Still I think that a kit for testing for this and other toxic substances would be a wonderful addition to any bird owners list of supplies. I don't believe that you mentioned where you found them.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Sat May 28, 2016 9:56 am

You can get them on the net, Wolf (http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page=1& ... test%20kit)
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Return to Toys, Accessories, and DIY