Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Best place to buy toys

Share ideas for making your own parrot toys. What are the best things for parrots to play with? Show pictures of parrots with toys.

Re: Best place to buy toys

Postby Pajarita » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:51 am

ParrotsForLife wrote:
Pajarita wrote:I wouldn't waste my money on commercial toys. Just go to Home Depot, buy a 2x4 of untreated wood, cut it in pieces, drill a hole through them and thread them with an untreated sisal rope (you can make a knot in between the pieces). All they want is to chew so wood is what they need...

Some like to ring bells and make lots of noise or jump on things that swing and forage

Yes, but, usually, macaws are not bell ringers, they are more couch potato birds that just like to perch somewhere and chew, walk around following their human or push balls around the floor.

Get him a couple of sweetfeet and booda perches, that will give him enough variety so his feet are OK. If you see reddish marks on the soles of his feet, eliminate all hard perches and use only soft cotton ones to allow his skin to heal -and give him lots and lots of food rich in betacarotene.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby ParrotsForLife » Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:42 pm

I didn't know that all Macaws I've seen always seemed to like bells
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Rocko and Loki, Cockatiels
Mango, Plum headed parakeet
Tiko, African grey, Oscar, BFA

Postby Pajarita » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:12 am

Well, YouTube videos always show the 5 minutes when a bird is doing something cute or been super good but we all know that the other 23 hours and 55 minutes are not like that, don't we? :lol:
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby ParrotsForLife » Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:11 pm

Pajarita wrote:Well, YouTube videos always show the 5 minutes when a bird is doing something cute or been super good but we all know that the other 23 hours and 55 minutes are not like that, don't we? :lol:

I know Tiko loves to shred wood and she seems to only make noise and swing from bells etc when shes really hyper in the morning or afternoon.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Postby Luckyandjenn » Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:28 pm

Pajarita wrote:
ParrotsForLife wrote:
Pajarita wrote:I wouldn't waste my money on commercial toys. Just go to Home Depot, buy a 2x4 of untreated wood, cut it in pieces, drill a hole through them and thread them with an untreated sisal rope (you can make a knot in between the pieces). All they want is to chew so wood is what they need...

Some like to ring bells and make lots of noise or jump on things that swing and forage

Yes, but, usually, macaws are not bell ringers, they are more couch potato birds that just like to perch somewhere and chew, walk around following their human or push balls around the floor.

Get him a couple of sweetfeet and booda perches, that will give him enough variety so his feet are OK. If you see reddish marks on the soles of his feet, eliminate all hard perches and use only soft cotton ones to allow his skin to heal -and give him lots and lots of food rich in betacarotene.
i will look into those perches and have to get one or two cause he does have little pink marks on his feet so thanks for that info and mine is much of a couch potato lol also all his new toys and training stuff is here picking it up tommarow :danicing:
Luckyandjenn
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Blue and gold macaw and a flock of all diffrent types hens Americana, silkie, yellow Sexton ,austrelop Plymouth Bared Rock
Flight: No

Postby Pajarita » Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:56 am

Be careful with the pink spots under his feet. They can be the beginning of something called bumble foot (an infection) so they need to be taken care of asap. I suspect that he is has been lacking betacarotene in his diet so get the soft perches for him (to allow the irritated spots to heal) and feed him lots of orange and yellow food: sweet potatoes, carrots, pumpkin or squashes that have yellow or orange 'flesh' like butternut, for example, cantaloupe (my birds love cantaloupe!). If he doesn't eat enough produce on his own, you will have to get it into food that he likes... Try making birdy cookies or birdy bread for him. Birds love cookies, they are real easy to make and you can use canned pumpkin and grated carrots in them: get steel-cut oats (aka Irish Oatmeal in the supermarket) and mix them with the pumpkin and/or grated carrots and some chopped almonds, for example (so he will like them), make a batter that is so thick you can pick it up with a spoon and put little balls of it on a cookie sheet - then bake at 300 degrees until they are dry and firm. I bet he will love them!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Luckyandjenn » Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:55 pm

Pajarita wrote:Be careful with the pink spots under his feet. They can be the beginning of something called bumble foot (an infection) so they need to be taken care of asap. I suspect that he is has been lacking betacarotene in his diet so get the soft perches for him (to allow the irritated spots to heal) and feed him lots of orange and yellow food: sweet potatoes, carrots, pumpkin or squashes that have yellow or orange 'flesh' like butternut, for example, cantaloupe (my birds love cantaloupe!). If he doesn't eat enough produce on his own, you will have to get it into food that he likes... Try making birdy cookies or birdy bread for him. Birds love cookies, they are real easy to make and you can use canned pumpkin and grated carrots in them: get steel-cut oats (aka Irish Oatmeal in the supermarket) and mix them with the pumpkin and/or grated carrots and some chopped almonds, for example (so he will like them), make a batter that is so thick you can pick it up with a spoon and put little balls of it on a cookie sheet - then bake at 300 degrees until they are dry and firm. I bet he will love them!

Thank you so much I am having a very hard time trying to get him to eat anything but seeds and nuts id love to make him hommade recipes are there any web sites or possible books I could get to help with this ?? I'm not a great cook and need some sort of line to follow I don't care the expensive it is lol he's my baby I'll do wherever to keep him happy and healthy just like my other anipals thanks in advance
Luckyandjenn
Lovebird

Types of Birds Owned: Blue and gold macaw and a flock of all diffrent types hens Americana, silkie, yellow Sexton ,austrelop Plymouth Bared Rock
Flight: No

Postby Wolf » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:04 am

I am really doubtful that you could find a book on how to get your bird to eat a healthier diet, but if you could it would probably be very short unless they filled it up with recipes. The way to get your bird to accept and eat new foods are pretty limited.

Basically the ways are to share meals and snacks of bird safe items with them with the best times of the day being first thing in the mornings before the birds has been given any other foods to eat. Another thing that can help is to run the new foods through a blender to begin with and then to mix them in with the foods that the bird does eat and then working with that until you no longer have to hide the healthy foods in other foods. Hiding the good foods in such things as birdie bread or cookies is just a variation on the last. That pretty much covers all of the good ways to teach the bird to eat the variety of foods that it needs to eat.
Wolf
Macaw

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby ParrotsForLife » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:40 am

Luckyandjenn wrote:
Pajarita wrote:Be careful with the pink spots under his feet. They can be the beginning of something called bumble foot (an infection) so they need to be taken care of asap. I suspect that he is has been lacking betacarotene in his diet so get the soft perches for him (to allow the irritated spots to heal) and feed him lots of orange and yellow food: sweet potatoes, carrots, pumpkin or squashes that have yellow or orange 'flesh' like butternut, for example, cantaloupe (my birds love cantaloupe!). If he doesn't eat enough produce on his own, you will have to get it into food that he likes... Try making birdy cookies or birdy bread for him. Birds love cookies, they are real easy to make and you can use canned pumpkin and grated carrots in them: get steel-cut oats (aka Irish Oatmeal in the supermarket) and mix them with the pumpkin and/or grated carrots and some chopped almonds, for example (so he will like them), make a batter that is so thick you can pick it up with a spoon and put little balls of it on a cookie sheet - then bake at 300 degrees until they are dry and firm. I bet he will love them!

Thank you so much I am having a very hard time trying to get him to eat anything but seeds and nuts id love to make him hommade recipes are there any web sites or possible books I could get to help with this ?? I'm not a great cook and need some sort of line to follow I don't care the expensive it is lol he's my baby I'll do wherever to keep him happy and healthy just like my other anipals thanks in advance

Theres an amazing group on Facebook called FeedingFeathers and theres lots of files.It was a Yahoo group in the 90's before changing to a Facebook group and its all scientific research.
ParrotsForLife
African Grey

Postby Bird Lover123 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:05 pm

Anywhere but china. China will make toys out of zinc a lot, zinc is bad for birds, sometimes deadly!
Bird Lover123
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek

Previous

Return to Toys, Accessories, and DIY