Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Pictures of Parrots With Toys

Share ideas for making your own parrot toys. What are the best things for parrots to play with? Show pictures of parrots with toys.

Re: Pictures of Parrots With Toys

Postby seagoatdeb » Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:21 pm

Not really a Poi thing, Sunny will only mildly play, anything like Gaugan the daring parrrot does is a little too much for him. I have never had another Poi as daredevil or as trusting as Gaugan. They all like to hang upside down, but she has absolute trust in me, and will just flip herself over when she want to play and I have to catch her. I have never dropped her yet. she is capable fo terrorizing everyone else, parrots and people if motivated to do so, but she is always so gentle with me no matter what. She makes cute noises when she plays sometimes too. I will have to get a video of her doing her flipping and playing one day.
seagoatdeb
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Red Belly Poicephalus and a Meyers Poicephalus
Flight: Yes

Postby galeriagila » Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:36 pm

Here is my knight in shining feather, doing battle with two great demons of the Netherworld, the Bouncey Ball and the Yellow Disc. He subdues them and ejects them from his penthouse in short order. One thing I still wonder... how can I be sure he's having fun, not vanquishing enemies? Then again, maybe a little vanquishing is good for a mighty warrior rooster now and then.
My hero!

Click for Videos.

The Bouncey Ball ... begone!

The Yellow Disc ... he's screaming "NO!" but he doesn't sound his Ns very well.

galeriagila
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: 32-year-old Patagonian Conure

Postby Pajarita » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:38 am

Oh, he is most definitely fighting and not playing! But what happened to the primaries on his left wing? Are they missing or did I see wrong?
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby galeriagila » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:25 pm

No, primaries are all there but not completely emerged due to his big moult. His tail is short, too, because the two longest feathers aren't all the way out.

Do you think I should keep letting him fight like that with those things?
galeriagila
Amazon

Postby Pajarita » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:53 am

If he likes it, let him. I had a male amazon, Teddy (he was one of the 6 birds that died when I had chlamydiosis in the birdroom) that loved fighting with things. I had this macaw swing hanging from the ceiling that had chewing stuff (like pieces of colored wood and such) hanging down from the middle of the inverted U and he would fly up to perch there and beat this thing up regularly.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby galeriagila » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:23 pm

Okay, then, I'll let 'er rip!
I imagine he must feel proud after he "wins"!
Thanks.
galeriagila
Amazon

Postby Wolf » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:19 am

I believe that what we refer to as playing was originally natures way of helping us to learn, remember and gain a certain level of proficiency at certain things such as foraging for food, self defence and if you were a predator hunting skills. I have watched this in all kinds of wild creatures and in human children as well.

Most of what we see as playing, with our birds is either shredding something, useful for foraging or in attacking something, useful in last ditch self defence. Do they enjoy it? I am sure that they do.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby galeriagila » Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:41 am

Absolutely, Wolf... like pouncing kittens practicing kills.

Young Rickeybirds would have to practice balancing on ledges while defending nests. Adults like to keep in practice.

Also makes me think of how my little nephew used to "spar" or wrestle with his 8-10 year old buddies. Hopefully he won't need those skills for real, but who knows? Some grown guys still enjoy it as sport.
galeriagila
Amazon

Postby AnneBoleyn » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:06 am

My 7 month old baby female plum head, Dandelion, adores her ladder with mirror and beads! She swings from it, talks to it, counts the beads and admires herself! But she is a very pretty little girl. I will get some pictures soon.
:swaying: :D
AnneBoleyn
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Budgies, Cockatiels, Splendids and Plum head pair.
Flight: No

Postby galeriagila » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:03 pm

Yessssssss, pleeeeeease, pictures!!!
galeriagila
Amazon

PreviousNext

Return to Toys, Accessories, and DIY