Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

macaw toys?

Share ideas for making your own parrot toys. What are the best things for parrots to play with? Show pictures of parrots with toys.

macaw toys?

Postby abril1111 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:01 pm

I live in the united states- New York
I have looked every where for accessories and toys for my macaw.
I am in the process of building a room for him and well I cant find anything big enough for him to climb around on or to play with that he doesn't already have! He does not fly so it has to be something I can connect around him that he can climb. If anyone has any stores or online places to look please let me know! thank you!
abril1111
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: One Macaw
Flight: No

Re: macaw toys?

Postby Pajarita » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:23 pm

Hi, Abril! I don't have macaws but I have a cockatoo, another large bird that needs large perches and such and I use platforms (I use wood railings of cribs, crib mattress spring foundations and something that is made out of metal and looks like a fence) hanging from the ceiling connected to each other with thick sisal ropes knotted at intervals as well as ropes tied to the platforms that hang all the way down to the floor (so he can climb up to the platform). I also have branches stuck in the 'holes' of the platforms and tied to them so they can climb them as well as large branches (diameters around 5 to 7 inches) that go from one platform to another. You could try that, my birds (too, zons, grays) love them! And I had a friend that had a large net made out of rope hanging from the ceiling for her macaws and toos to climb and swing. As to toys, I have found that simple things like pieces of wood, pinecones and stuff from the arts and crafts stores as well as baby toys do just as well as any parrot toy you could buy out there and end up been much cheaper.

But, let's wait for Birdwoman to answer, she has macaws as well as cockatoos and might be able to give you more ideas.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,
Flight: Yes

Postby abril1111 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:39 pm

Thank you, ill wait and see if birdwoman replies. I am not doing anything yet until I move to my new place.
abril1111
Parrotlet

Postby Bird woman » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:58 pm

Hey bird woman here , welcome ,when ordering on line I use mybirdstore.com but mostly I build what I need . I'm in Oregon and have an endless supply of manzanita, what kind of wood grows native there? There's also a tree you can order called a java tree that's made for big birds if your not a dyi kind of a person. Also food grade pvc 1 and 2 inch pipe and lots of connectors make a jungle gym as big as your imagination can imagine. Go to the plumbing store and look at all the different connections and you will see what I mean. Grab some long lengths of pipe and a saw and it's like a big erector set. :lol: :thumbsup: have fun BW
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Postby abril1111 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:35 pm

Thank you bird Woman! I was just looking at pvc piping today and am thinking about doing something with it! just really hard to find things for macaws even online.. I order things saying its for macaws and I get it and its just to small for him.. ill check out that website, hope I find somethings there. I do make his toys since he goes through them so fast and loves new things all the time. Do you have any advice of where I can get a bed for him or what to make one with?
abril1111
Parrotlet

Postby Bird woman » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:49 pm

A BED ??? We are talking about a bird right :lol: sounds to me like your a little over the top like me :D nothings to good for the fids that's my motto. Well I'll tell you there's nothing like a big cardboard box with an ol towel in it to keep any of my birds occupied. But that's as close to a bed as it gets. Oh did I forget to mention I bought the fids a huge Barbie playhouse with doors and windows the whole nine yards and it was a huge hit filled with toys. You might want to consider one or something similar if your bird room is big enough. I'll do some checking on an address for you where they make large bird all natural stuff here locally out of manzanita and get back to you. BW
Bird woman
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Postby Bird woman » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:33 pm

Did some checking last night , go on eBay they have those java trees and the hard manzanita gyms that are made here in shady cove , Oregon on there but dammmmm :shock: there a lot of money and there selling a bunch. I think I'm in the wrong business :lol: BW
Bird woman
Amazon

Postby abril1111 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:56 pm

Thank you! and yes a bed! lol I love to spoil my little animal children! I think I found something that will work I looked around last night and found some small cat hut/beds that I can hang for him! I'm still teaching him how to step up on other surfaces but me but once he gets there I might just by that doll house! I will check ebay again and see what I find! thank you again!
abril1111
Parrotlet

Postby Bird woman » Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:06 pm

Take it from one who knows big bird will shred the bed :lol: :lol: :lol: all my birds are absolutely spoiled rotten and get away with murder. Parrots for life posted a video for me yesterday , you will see 2 of my fids at there best. BW. It's under parrot tales { cockatoos}
Bird woman
Amazon

Postby Pajarita » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:20 pm

Well, I have to tell both of you that I do not like PVC for parrots - especially large species that are real chewers like macaws, toos and even amazons. This is the result of a study conducted with rats that were fed PVC (and this is only for toxicity and not considering crop impaction and intestinal occlusion!):
Pathological findings consist in marked hyperplasia of gastro-enteric mucosa, with polipoidfigures, and in a marked activation of pulmonary linforeticular tissue with cellular atipias. In one case a subcutaneous histiocytic lymphoma was observed.
Unquote

I also don't like anything made out of material. I personally know of two birds that got crop impaction from chewing and, apparently, swallowing threads from cloth and cotton ropes. See this thread: http://www.theparrotforum.com/viewtopic ... 22&t=10294
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Next

Return to Toys, Accessories, and DIY