Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

macaw toys?

Share ideas for making your own parrot toys. What are the best things for parrots to play with? Show pictures of parrots with toys.

Re: macaw toys?

Postby Bird woman » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:15 pm

Food grade pvc is not for injesting just running water through. I have had several pvc perches as well as misters in there avairys big birds and small and I've never had one chew the pipe. I totally agree alanatural is best but some people don't have access nor money to get the best. Honestly with the proper connectors and smooth end caps it would take a very special bird to be able to get pieces off of it. As for cloth and rope perches you won't find any of it in my birds cages. :D BW
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker
Flight: Yes

Postby Navre » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:21 am

I don't own a Macaw, but I care for about a million of them. Okay, it's not a million, it just sounds like a million.

I have found the best toys for Macaws are those big, stainless steel spirals that can be reloaded with pieces of wood. I use regular 2x4 wood. I just grind any ink off the outside and cut it to the lengths I need.

I also make perches from 2x4. Use stainless steel hanger bolts and washers. The birds chew the hell out of it, but you can keep replacing it cheaply. I like wood that the birds can chew up. Some Macaws chew through a 2x4 in a week, others keep them forever.
You only have to buy the SS hardware once.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:21 pm

I am with John, wood is best. It is not only natural, safe, easily available and super cheap, it is also their very favorite thing in the entire world to chew! I worry about giving birds toxic stuff because the truth is that no matter how much you think you know your bird, he will surprise you one day by doing something that he has never done before. I am a VERY careful person, I don't take risks at all -not with my animals- but even my extra care and vigilance has not been enough and I recently lost a beloved bird in a platform that he had used every day for years... I blame myself for it and will have to live with the regret for the rest of my life so, no, nothing that can be toxic if chewed for my birds.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Bird woman » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:04 pm

ON FEB.21,2017 THERES A POST UNDER INTRODUCTIONS ( the heading says ) HI IM NEW HERE ),BY LYNN THERE IS A PICTURE OF A BEAUTIFUL HOMEMADE PLAY GYM ON THERE ANYONE COULD GET A GREAT IDEA FROM. I know I'm going to show it to my husband and maybe withhold dinner if he doesn't make me a few. I'm not a slave driver he's just had the whole week off! :lol: :lol: :lol: It's the last post on the first page
Bird woman
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 10
Types of Birds Owned: 2 mollucans, 2 LSC'S, 2 macaws, 1 bare-eye, 1 grey, 1 goffin and max the quaker

Postby abril1111 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:19 pm

Thank you everyone for your advice and help!
I think it all comes down to what you prefer and what your bird likes! There is so much advices on good and bad and it seems people will disagree with people that agree or like something. etc.. I know there is things I give my bird that people would slap my wrist for or say that's a great idea. But its not toxic and my bird likes it, so if hes happy I'm happy!
abril1111
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: One Macaw
Flight: No

Postby Pajarita » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:41 am

Personally, my motto is "When in doubt, don't" so if there is one single person that says something was bad for his/her parrot, even if there are 99 others that said it's fine, I stay away from it. My reasoning is that there are so many good and safe alternatives to everything (food, toys, housing, etc.) that risking something bad happening is simply not worth it.
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Previous

Return to Toys, Accessories, and DIY