Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Marnies new perch- Updated

Share ideas for making your own parrot toys. What are the best things for parrots to play with? Show pictures of parrots with toys.

Marnies new perch- Updated

Postby Marnie » Fri May 21, 2010 12:56 pm

found this old pc of driftwood at a yard sale for free. here she is on it for the 1st time enjoying the deck with me on this gorgeous sunny day :)

i think she likes it :thumbsup:
Last edited by Marnie on Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marnie
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: IRN
LoveBirds
Flight: No

Re: Marnies new perch

Postby Michael » Fri May 21, 2010 12:58 pm

Michael
Macaw

Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Postby Marnie » Fri May 21, 2010 1:09 pm

yeah i did read that post before, always expect the unexpected i guess. i'm so glad she got her baby back. that was a scary one.
no streams running past my deck, no nearby trees or wires, its quite safe. we had our amazon outside with us on her perch all the time.
even if she did startle and fly off my finger, worst she would do is scare one of my dogs to death!! :lol:
Marnie
Conure

LoveBirds

Postby Natacha » Wed May 26, 2010 6:51 am

Marnie wrote:yeah i did read that post before, always expect the unexpected i guess. i'm so glad she got her baby back. that was a scary one.
no streams running past my deck, no nearby trees or wires, its quite safe. we had our amazon outside with us on her perch all the time.
even if she did startle and fly off my finger, worst she would do is scare one of my dogs to death!! :lol:

Adrenaline and a good gust of wind could bring your bird far..very far.
I wouldn't risk it.
Last edited by Natacha on Wed May 26, 2010 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
My blog http://poiworld.blogspot.com/
Videos of my birds http://www.youtube.com/user/poicephaluslady
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied parrots
Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's parrots
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot

Postby Marnie » Wed May 26, 2010 10:16 am

she's clipped. i wouldn't do this if she wasn't.
Marnie
Conure

LoveBirds

Postby Michael » Wed May 26, 2010 10:19 am

Marnie wrote:she's clipped. i wouldn't do this if she wasn't.

I think you're still missing the point. See what Natacha said about a clipped parrot dying after a fly off. Even if there aren't any streams or bodies of open water around you, there can be other fatal hazards. You should really consider using a harness on the bird. It will also prepare the parrot for wearing a harness outdoors if you let its wings grow out but still want to take it outside in the future.
Michael
Macaw

Postby Natacha » Wed May 26, 2010 11:46 am

Marnie wrote:she's clipped. i wouldn't do this if she wasn't.

But that is exactly my point.

Thinking a bird will be "safe" outside with just a wing clip is an illusion. If they get scared (and you never know what will scare them), adrenaline comes in and they will take off, clip of not. And if you are unlucky enough that there is wind, even a clipped bird can end up very far.
My blog http://poiworld.blogspot.com/
Videos of my birds http://www.youtube.com/user/poicephaluslady
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied parrots
Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's parrots
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot

Postby Michael » Wed May 26, 2010 2:07 pm

Since PRD isn't around to explain the implications of wind on flight, I'll explain. Simply wind alone cannot make a bird fly, however, for a bird that is on the ground, with wings open the wind can lift it off the ground momentarily. If faced with a wind gust, sheer, or updraft this can create a dynamic soaring effect which will continue lifting the winged surface higher. Furthermore, the passing through wind gradients into higher speed winds aloft can create a continued source of lift even to a clipped parrot in a wings out gliding position. Of course a fully flighted parrot can create thrust and outfly these conditions but a clipped parrot is often too inexperienced of a flyer to know how to come down and instinctively flies higher and higher trying to escape danger.

Thus a wing cannot fly merely from the presence of wind but a wing that is bound to the ground (kite, bird standing on ground) can take off in wind or a change in wind while in air can create temporary lift. So even a clipped parrot can end up flying upward and drift far away in the right wind. It doesn't even have to be that strong on the ground, as long as it gets stronger higher up. Please be careful.
Michael
Macaw

Postby skeetersunconure » Wed May 26, 2010 4:11 pm

before i knew that clipped birds could still fly outside i had taken skeeter out and he got spooked by wind and he flew for a few feet he got maybe 3 feet of the ground and i was quick so i got him but thats just it i am usually very consciensious about my animals and i thought that he was safe but he wasnt a clipped bird outside without a harness is more dangerous than a fully flighted one so dont do it without a harness.!!!!!
skeetersunconure
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: sun conure

Postby Marnie » Wed May 26, 2010 6:47 pm

you know i am sorry now i ever posted this. i thought i would get at least one comment on her unique perch which i thought was a good find and just right for her.
all i got was admonished like a school kid who does not know better. i have had birds all my life and yes i know stuff happens, but this is not what this post is about.
please give me a break here, nothing more needs to be said.
i am a responsible bird owner, always have been.
my amazon spent a lot of time on the deck with me on her perch. my biggest fear was a big ol' hawk swooping down and snatching her, did you ever hear of that one??
the worst thing that ever happened to her was when she fell off her perch and hit the patio like a pound of wet hamburger! and her wings had just been clipped at an avian vet!
never again did i clip her wings.

its like......don't go for a lovely walk in the woods - there are snakes!
don't ride your bike and have fun - you might get hit!
don't do anything - something could happen
don't get another dog - its too painful when they die
life is to be lived, not to deny the simple pleasures life has to offer
because something could happen.
i will continue to have her on the deck with me, she loves it! she was out with me for over an hour today and had a blast exploring and playing. its the high point of her day.
yeah she fell off the table and had just enough lift for a safe landing just an inch from my dogs nose, he looked up at me like "mom, get your bird please"

if some gale-force wind comes along and blows her into the next county, you'll be the 1st to know.
but i know enough to stay inside in inclement weather.
thanks for your comments and suggestions.
Marnie
Conure

LoveBirds

Next

Return to Toys, Accessories, and DIY