Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Marnies new perch- Updated

Share ideas for making your own parrot toys. What are the best things for parrots to play with? Show pictures of parrots with toys.

Re: Marnies new perch

Postby pchela » Wed May 26, 2010 8:31 pm

:(

I do like the perch...

Is driftwood soft enough for them to chew on?
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)
Flight: Yes

Postby Natacha » Wed May 26, 2010 8:37 pm

Quite frankly you can do whatever you want. Unfortunately, your picture brought up a safety issue and this being a public forum which anyone can see, I don't feel like we can condone a bird being taken outside without any form of protection other than a wing clip. And seriously, this wouldn't be the first time the main topic of a subject is being derailed on a forum for something more "serious".

While you are free to do whatever you want, some people might take example on your actions and at least, by speaking up upon the dangers bringing a clipped bird outside without a harness or enclosure, we might make people think twice about doing it themselves.

I can't tell you about the number of occasions I've heard people say their bird was always perfectly fine outside, for years, without any form of restraint, and then facing a terrible loss. Of course, we always think we are fine until something bad has happened.

To boot, you brought on other possible dangers of bringing birds outside, such as predator birds. So yes, you are aware of dangers and choose to continue. I do hope, and this is meant without any trace of sarcasm, that your bird remains safely by your side when you bring him outside.

I still think it's not worth the risk.
My blog http://poiworld.blogspot.com/
Videos of my birds http://www.youtube.com/user/poicephaluslady
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied parrots
Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's parrots
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot

Postby skeetersunconure » Wed May 26, 2010 8:40 pm

i like the perch too i wanted to get skeeter something like that to ! i wasnt being mean earlier i just dont want anything to happen to your birdy :) :thumbsup:
skeetersunconure
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: sun conure

Postby Marnie » Wed May 26, 2010 8:59 pm

thanks for your input, its all valuable information.
i know no one was being mean, bird people are not mean people, we are GOOD people :thumbsup:
some of the best!

yes, this wood is very shreddable (it appears to be quite old) and she will have lots of years of fun pickin' :) now i have her 2nd cage out there too and she goes in and out for a bite but always comes back to the wood because its closest to me and my stuff, and she loves to mess with my stuff.
Marnie
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: IRN
LoveBirds
Flight: No

Postby HyperD » Thu May 27, 2010 12:32 am

May I ask what you did to disinfect it?

My first thought is driftwood by definition has been drifting about in water for many years. Plenty of time and mositure to pick up lots of nasties?

Then you got it from a yard sale... No telling what condition the previous owners had it in?
HyperD
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal

Postby Marnie » Thu May 27, 2010 9:19 am

nothing.
that pc of wood could be older than me (58)! who knows? most organisims need moisture to survive and this is the driest of dry wood. not covered in moss and worms.
and who disinfects the wood they pick at in the wild? or anything wild birds come in contact with?
i put wood and branches in my birds cages all the time for shredding as long as its from a non-toxic tree, it goes right in. i would not soak it in any disinfectant chemicals first.
maybe you but not me.
Marnie
Conure

LoveBirds

Postby HyperD » Thu May 27, 2010 2:51 pm

Some people do disinfect it but some will just bake it in the oven so that it would get hot, kill any potential nasties...
HyperD
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal

Postby Marnie » Thu May 27, 2010 3:11 pm

yes i guess baking it would work as well if not better, no chemicals.
thanks
Marnie
Conure

LoveBirds

Postby Natacha » Thu May 27, 2010 4:41 pm

I would definitively choose the baking method over the chemicals, just because I'd worry about not taking everything off.

If I bother to wash things before giving them to the birds, perches and such, it's with vinegar and water.

As for discussing the perch directly, it looks like something someone maybe had in an aquarium and that is why it came up at a yard sale? I personally like smaller branches better for my birds.
My blog http://poiworld.blogspot.com/
Videos of my birds http://www.youtube.com/user/poicephaluslady
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied parrots
Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's parrots
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot

Postby skeetersunconure » Thu May 27, 2010 4:44 pm

@natacha yes they probably had it in an aquarium i have lots of driftwood in my aquarium and if thats the case there is going to be some chemicals and bacteria so i would recomend baking it. :)
skeetersunconure
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: sun conure

PreviousNext

Return to Toys, Accessories, and DIY