Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

What are your parrot's favorite toys?

Share ideas for making your own parrot toys. What are the best things for parrots to play with? Show pictures of parrots with toys.

What are your parrot's favorite toys?

Postby Michael » Sat Oct 17, 2009 12:20 am

What are their favorite toys? What kinds of toys? How long does it take for them to destroy them? Do they have a toy they like so much that you buy it over and over again fro them?

What is more important? That the toy appeals to the bird or to the human? It seems like so many bird toys are made to appeal to humans (because they are the ones doing the shopping) yet I kind of doubt those kinds of toys might appeal to the bird.

Personally I think my bird is more interested in the shape and kind of material it is than the colors. Do you think colorful toys are that much more appealing than dull ones?
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Re: What are your parrot's favorite toys?

Postby Natacha » Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:09 am

Favorite toys? Hmmm..

Piper's: Me ;)
Seriously, she chewing on soft wood and on straw-like material.

Shade: It goes in cycle. Right now, she's chewing wood big time. She'll also play with leather and other chewing toys made with natural fibers. Oh and she loves the red Jolly ball.

Joey: He LOVES wood. But he'll also play with plastic toys.

Petey: She loves this acrylic toys with dices hanging off chains. She tries to pry off the dices from the chains. This toy is offered to her when she's out of her cage.

Zuri: Will chew just about anything...not very difficult.
My blog http://poiworld.blogspot.com/
Videos of my birds http://www.youtube.com/user/poicephaluslady
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied parrots
Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's parrots
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot

Postby MandyG » Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:40 pm

Michael wrote:What is more important? That the toy appeals to the bird or to the human? It seems like so many bird toys are made to appeal to humans (because they are the ones doing the shopping) yet I kind of doubt those kinds of toys might appeal to the bird.

I think it's more important that the toy appeals to the bird. I don't care what a toy looks like as long as Mojo likes it. But I do agree that most toys out there seem to be designed with the human in mind.

Mojo's current favorite toy is this one http://www.busybeaks.com/77061-3_kokocorn_kruncher.htm.
He's had it since Tuesday and there's pretty much nothing left!

He's really into light shredding type toys right now like these ones: http://www.busybeaks.com/77129-31_sq_tower.htm and http://www.busybeaks.com/77109-12_folding_bouquet.htm.

Although he really likes shredding toys right now (and his foraging toys are always a favorite), he goes through phases. He'll leave some of this wood toys untouched for a while then one day I'll come home and the entire thing will be reduced to toothpicks! I give him coconut/shell/cuttle bone toys that are the same as the wood. He'll ignore them for a while then for a few days they'll be all that he'll play with.

He has two bell toys that he also really loves, they're the ones that he takes most of his aggression out on.

He basically loves anything he can destroy ;) .
MandyG
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Crowned Amazon

Postby Michael » Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:53 pm

Kili really likes the wood balls where the wood is woven into a ball. And she also loves spongy wood. What do you call that? Balsa? Basically she likes softer woods cause she feels proud of herself destroying it entirely.

By the way, is it ok to use raw pasta as a toy? I haven't done this in a while but I used to make noodle toys for Kili:

Michael
Macaw

Postby macawlover2 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:31 pm

Yep, hard pasta is safe for birdies as far as I know. Lafebers sells their Nutriforage Pack that has raw noodles in it, so it must be safe!

I'd have to say that my grey's favorite toys are foraging ones. The only problem is that it takes him half the time to get the treat as it does for me to put the treat in!

Cheyenne's favorite toy is called "Lots 'O Legs" which is a wodden bear with rope "legs" dangling down. She'll sit on her swing and just hold onto all the legs with one foot and gnaw on the rope.

As for Oliver (my military), he seems to prefer toys that are meant for medium-sized birds. It's like he's too lazy to destroy the big macaw-sized ones. :lol:
macawlover2
Parrotlet

Types of Birds Owned: Military macaw, Blue and gold macaw, and a congo african grey.

Postby parrotsaver » Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:45 am

Oh I don't have any toy for my parakeets because in my town it's just a single petstore and I can't make them by myself because my parents don't help me about this even my father says "don't lose time with birds" so I just let my parakeets play with anything they find interesting in my room of course on my highest carefulness . So my keets don;t play so much ! :budgie:
parrotsaver
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: parakeets-budgies

Postby Kathleen » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:00 pm

You can order toys online. Or you can order toy parts in bulk online and make your own stuff.

If you can't do that, there's a few things in your house or at most stores commonly found that you could use at toys. If you have toothpicks or Popsicle sticks (both clean, nontoxic and unused), the birds might enjoy chewing them or tossing them around. Or if you have plastic straws, you can make little toys out of them (again, unused, clean). Unscented, clean toilet paper can be made into toys (shredding).

Some birds enjoy chewing up paper, cardboard, etc. Just be careful about inks because some things could be toxic.
Kathleen
Amazon

Postby parrotsaver » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:32 pm

Well , thanks a lot Kathleen ! :budgie:
parrotsaver
Parrotlet

Types of Birds Owned: parakeets-budgies

Postby MissLady9902 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:53 am

Marvin and Noodle both really love baskets that I zip tie to their play tops. Here are some pictures.
I went to our Hobby Lobby and bought some plain undecorated baskets. It's a great bird toy for around $2.50.

This is how I tied Marvin's to his play top

One happy bird!

Cathy

Busy beaks are quiet beaks!

:senegal: - Noodle
:gray: - Marvin
MissLady9902
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: A Senegal and a Congo African Grey
Flight: No

Postby Michael » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:36 am

Haha! That's great! I've always wanted to give Kili things like that but I always get nervous it could be toxic. What do you do to ensure it's safe?

It's funny cause when Kathleen and I go to a store and see baskets like that or those straw balls as decorations we joke about Kili getting in there and ripping them all up but I end up not buying them cause I fear them being toxic. :?
Michael
Macaw

Next

Return to Toys, Accessories, and DIY