Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Bird Tent/Buddy

Share ideas for making your own parrot toys. What are the best things for parrots to play with? Show pictures of parrots with toys.

Bird Tent/Buddy

Postby Kathleen » Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:31 pm

There are these fleece like tent things I've seen around many pet supplies stores. Do you have one? Does your bird enjoy it?
Kathleen
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Flight: Yes

Re: Bird Tent/Buddy

Postby macawlover2 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:11 am

I originally got one of the big green ones for my grey, who completely ignored it. I tried coaxing him to snuggle up to it by putting treats near it, to no avail. :roll:

Then I gave it to Oliver, my military macaw. He loooves it! Cuddles up to it every night! It probably helps that it's a green one, so it's the same color as he is.

I've heard that lovebirds, parrotlets, and conures really like the tents.
macawlover2
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Military macaw, Blue and gold macaw, and a congo african grey.

Postby Kathleen » Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:24 pm

When I had Duke, I put the first kind (the bird tent/covered swing) in his cage and he never went on it from what I saw.

He had his three favorite places: The bottom of the cage near his food bowl, the higher perch where he could see his food bowl, and his sleeping perch. I knew he spent all his time in these places cause that's where all his droppings were.

One time I put him in the tent and he just hopped off of it. He was probably just afraid of it.
Kathleen
Amazon

Postby pchela » Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:39 pm

The birds who like tents seem to be the ones who nest in tree cavities etc in the wild. Conures love them. Cockatiels, not so much. Caiques are said to like them as well. My female Meyers will sleep in hers but my other pois won't go near them.
"I bet the sparrow looks at the parrot and thinks, yes, you can talk, but LISTEN TO YOURSELF!" ~ Jack Handy ~ Deep Thoughts
pchela
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal -Pippin
Red Belly - Nicholas
Lesser Jardine's - Rupert
Timneh African Grey - Isabeau (Ibby)

Postby Natacha » Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:07 pm

I'm weary of birdie tents..I've heard sooo many horror stories about them, I'm not going to risk anything. (loose thread getting caught somewhere on the bird (neck or toe are what I've heard the most about) seems to happen a lot..)
My blog http://poiworld.blogspot.com/
Videos of my birds http://www.youtube.com/user/poicephaluslady
Piper ~ Lovebird
Shade ~ Senegal
Joey & Pixel ~ Red-bellied parrots
Petey & Zuri ~ Meyer's parrots
Léa ~ Cape parrot
Natacha
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: PF Lovebird, Senegal Parrot, Red-bellied Parrots, Meyer's Parrot, Cape Parrot

Postby Kathleen » Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:49 pm

They are a safety hazard? Hm, interesting. I guess they should only be used with supervision. :?
Kathleen
Amazon

Postby Mona » Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:14 pm

When Phinney TAG was a baby, she slept in a bird tent for her first year.

For some reason, she would fall off her perch at night as a baby so I gave her a tent. She really liked it, slept in it every night and it was cute but about the time she turned a year old, she started chewing it and didn't seem as interested in it any more so I removed it.

None of my birds seem too interested in these now. They will explore them. The Senegals love to hang from towels but they don't seem particuarly interested in the tents.

Thx!
Mona in Seattle
Phinneous Fowl (aka Phinney) TAG
Babylon Sengal
Doug (spousal unit)
Jack and Bailey (Gremlins)
Kiri (CAG)
http://www.flyingparrotsinside.com

youtube: Avian Flyers
Mona
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrots, Congo African Grey, Timneh African Grey

Postby Lisa » Sun May 02, 2010 3:59 pm

Natacha wrote:I'm weary of birdie tents..I've heard sooo many horror stories about them, I'm not going to risk anything. (loose thread getting caught somewhere on the bird (neck or toe are what I've heard the most about) seems to happen a lot..)

check out Bird Paradise, they have a large amount of diffrent kinds to choose from, alot of people use them and I have been told by other owners that the conures love them, we did try one with ours, and he is not home yet and walked around with someone else that has had one and she said the type that I got the birds love, they can get in either side and it is the shape of a tent.

we just got our cage and put it in today next to one of his perches.

Lisa
Lisa
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: jenday conure
Flight: No

Postby notscaredtodance » Sun May 02, 2010 6:58 pm

If worried about loose threads, you can always use polar fleece. If youre planning on making one. They seem really easy actually.
notscaredtodance
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot
Flight: No

Postby TheNzJessie » Wed May 26, 2010 1:04 am

i brought one when i had my rainbow lorikeet and he took to it almost instantly, the one i brought him was a fill boarded one (stiff) and had sheeps wool on the inside. he loved it and would sleep everynight in it. i find more cuddly birds who love to be constricted and cuddled tightly enjoy them more. my budgie does not like them.
Qwil-:budgie:
Jango-:rainbow:
Jessie-ME
:)
TheNzJessie
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Rainbow lorikeet
Budgie

Next

Return to Toys, Accessories, and DIY