Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Foraging and plucking

Share ideas for making your own parrot toys. What are the best things for parrots to play with? Show pictures of parrots with toys.

Re: Foraging and plucking

Postby minhta » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:23 am

Hi everyone

Can someone explain exactly what plucking is? I have Roger who is a 10 month old Princess Parrot so he's still a baby? I think they reach maturity at 2 yr old. When I clean out his cage once or twice a week, I see these white feather like the dandelion flower. I assumed these are his baby feathers and he's just growning out of them, or does this mean he's plucking his feathers?

Or does plucking mean pulling a whole "proper" feather out? Thanks, I've only been a bird owner for 3 months.
Roger - Princess Parrot
minhta
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Princess Parrot
Flight: No

Re: Foraging and plucking

Postby ptuga72 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:33 pm

Plucking is when a parrot purposefully pulls out his/her own feathers. It is common for them to chew feathers as well. The feathers you are seeing are probably down feathers that birds lose normally.

Here is an article I found helpful on plucking when we first decided to adopt Scarlet:
http://www.petparrot.com/ParrotCarePlucking.htm
Many have forgotten this truth, but you must not forget it.
You remain responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.
-Antoine de Saint Exupery
ptuga72
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Female Eclectus, 1 Green Cheek Conure, 2 Cherry-Headed Conures (fosters)
Flight: No

Previous

Return to Toys, Accessories, and DIY