Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Easy and cheap perch recipe

Share ideas for making your own parrot toys. What are the best things for parrots to play with? Show pictures of parrots with toys.

Easy and cheap perch recipe

Postby guybo » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:30 pm

Hi, I just signed up for this forum and I thought I'd share my recipe for the perch a friend of mine cooked up for me. It's cheap and easy to make and my birds LOVE to hang out on it all day. This is for small birds, it can be scaled for pretty much any size bird.

1x3' 3/4" PVC pipe (drinking water pipe)
1x2' 3/4" PVC Pipe
1x6" PVC pipe collar (big enough around that the other two pipes will fit snugly inside it. The outer diameter of the bigger pieces should fit very tightly to the inner diameter of this piece)

3x2' 1/4" wooden dowels (these can be any length you want and can be smaller than 1/4" but don't make them bigger around or the PVC it fits into will be too weak)

1x christmas tree stand (mine has 4 long screws that pinch in at the middle and hold the perch up)

1x metal pizza pan (yeah... i said pizza pan ;-)

drill a 3/4" hole in the center of the pizza pan.

drill 3 1/4" holes in the longer pvc pipe at right angles to each other about 6-8" apart toward the top of the piece. Make the topmost hole 4-6" from the top

securely shove the shorter PVC pipe into the collar half way. slide the pizza pan over the bottom of the longer PVC pipe (the end with no holes). then securely shove the longer PVC pipe (pizza pan and all) into the other half of the collar.

Now you have a 2' PVC pipe, a collar, a pizza pan (it's the poop catcher) and a 3' piece of pipe. You can vary the sizes according to how tall you want the perch to be- vary the pipe diameters according to how big the birds are- this one works for for my quaker, cockatiel and 2 parrotlets).

Now shove the dowels into the holes drilled into the pipe on top. Place the whole perch into the xmas tree stand. This leaves the top of the PVC open. You can put millet in there, put a 3/4" PVC T fitting and 2 more pipes out of that and drill holes in it to hang feed/water dishes from OR do like I did- I put a dogwood and an orange tree branch in there for natural perches. Make sure you choose untreated wood that's safe for your birds.
guybo
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: 2 Parrotlets- Cassiopeia and Plato "The Kids"
1 Cockatiel- Hades "The head case"
1 Quaker- Perseus "Squeaky"
Flight: No

Re: Easy and cheap perch recipe

Postby guybo » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:32 pm

The picture shows up weird- right click and choose View Image to see it in full
guybo
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: 2 Parrotlets- Cassiopeia and Plato "The Kids"
1 Cockatiel- Hades "The head case"
1 Quaker- Perseus "Squeaky"
Flight: No

Re: Easy and cheap perch recipe

Postby Becco Lunatico » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:46 pm

I really like this!! Thanks for posting!

Joan
"She was not quite what you would call refined. She was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot." ~Mark Twain
Becco Lunatico
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Nanday Conure, Three Budgies
Flight: Yes

Return to Toys, Accessories, and DIY