Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Chubes- these are awesome

Share ideas for making your own parrot toys. What are the best things for parrots to play with? Show pictures of parrots with toys.

Chubes- these are awesome

Postby idlepirate » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:37 pm

Just thought to start a small thread incase some of you havent heard about them yet.

I was looking for one of those snuggle huts and couldnt find them in the UK. Then I started reading these nightmare stories about the huts where birds have been seriously injured. So I came across "the chube"
originally for rabbits and other small fluffy animals. I read that people are buying chubes as an alternative to snugglehuts and birds are loving them. Plus you can get creative with them- use them for training or building bigger cooler toys.

I bought one and added 2 screws to the sides to bolt it to the cage. I just think they're awesome! Considering the bird can sleep in them and use them as a chewtoy at the same time. When it gets too dirty or destroyed- its so cheap to buy a new one.

Heres a site which explains them more and has some excellent pictures for ideas : http://parrottoymaster.co.uk/toymakingideas.aspx

Lorenzo sleeps in his everynight and its really cute when you hear their little feet tabbing up and down :mrgreen:
hope this helps anyone who needs some new ideas or wants an alternative to a snugglehut.

Cheers and enjoy :thumbsup:
Attachments
chube.jpg
Different chubes you can get
chube.jpg (7.25 KiB) Viewed 7995 times
idlepirate
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Blue Throated Conure
Flight: Yes

Re: Chubes- these are awesome

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:56 pm

I'm not sure how long they'd last, since they appear terrifically chewable, but that definitely seems like an option to check out. I'm sure similar products are available here. I always wonder if the dyes used in small animal chewables are held to the same standards as for birds (usually food grade). I have a plastic ferret tunnel Scooter sometimes enjoys playing with, but I'm not confident enough in its chew-safety to leave it with him full time. The cardboard looks considerably more appealing in that respect.
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot
Flight: No

Postby idlepirate » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:19 pm

Im sure in america theres something similar, id be surprised if these didnt even originate from there.
For my conure hes only tried to rip some of the paper off but he uses it mainly to sleep in or sit on. (he doesnt tend to play or chew on anything on the inside of his cage as hes outside all day and only plays with toys which are highest in the room) I think they're quite durable though, considering they were designed for sharp bunny teeth.they're tougher then they look but still cheap to replace. Im not sure about the dye used, I just know they are made out of environmentally friendly vegetable parchment.
idlepirate
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Blue Throated Conure

Postby zazanomore » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:06 pm

The picture of the macaw is priceless!
Bonnie - :budgie2:
Clyde - :budgie:
Einstein - :greycockatiel:
Alyssa - :thumbsup:
zazanomore
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels
Budgies

Postby Becco Lunatico » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:32 pm

Hey these are great! Funny...I was wondering today if I could use a piece of plastic drainage pipe, you know, the flexible pipe people put at the end of their drainage gutter spout to redirect the water...was thinking it would make a good prop or play item....will try to find out what that stuff is made out of!
"She was not quite what you would call refined. She was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot." ~Mark Twain
Becco Lunatico
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Nanday Conure, Three Budgies

Postby borjawil » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:19 am

what about a pvc pipe? Would that be safe for a bird? It would definitely last longer and its pretty inexpensive.
borjawil
Parrotlet

Types of Birds Owned: Blue and Gold Macaw

Postby zazanomore » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:16 am

borjawil wrote:what about a pvc pipe? Would that be safe for a bird? It would definitely last longer and its pretty inexpensive.

People make toys out of pvc pipe.
Bonnie - :budgie2:
Clyde - :budgie:
Einstein - :greycockatiel:
Alyssa - :thumbsup:
zazanomore
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels
Budgies

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:58 pm

zazanomore wrote:
borjawil wrote:what about a pvc pipe? Would that be safe for a bird? It would definitely last longer and its pretty inexpensive.

People make toys out of pvc pipe.

Yes it is a common component. I recall there are some precautions when using PVC -- some needs a period in which to outgas before bringing in contact with the bird, and you want to avoid adhesives if at all possible.
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot

Return to Toys, Accessories, and DIY