Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

flight suit or harnass?

Share ideas for making your own parrot toys. What are the best things for parrots to play with? Show pictures of parrots with toys.

flight suit or harnass?

Postby rebeccaturpeinen » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:17 pm

what is the biggest difference and what is best/nicest for the bird? does anyone use the flight suit/bird diaper? didnt know birdies could wear diapers.... :?

it looks a little funny :D
rebeccaturpeinen
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Crimson Rosella
Flight: Yes

Re: flight suit or harnass?

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:29 pm

I have no real experience, but based on the reading I have done, THE best option is the aviator harness. I bought two and they appear to be a good design, although I haven't actually put one on either bird yet, just done some acclimation and handling work.

I don't know about the diaper aspect. I guess I'd worry that the mess would get trapped against the body and perhaps cause infection, but I know the literature says it holds it away from the bird. I can imagine that being a good option if you were taking a bird into a place like a nursing home where pooping would be frowned upon.

There are tons of Aviator fans on this forum, so I'm sure you'll get flooded with that recommendation.
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot
Flight: No

Postby MandyG » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:28 pm

It really depends on what you're wanting to use it for. From what I've heard, flight suits aren't suitable for taking your bird out doors. They're supposed to be used a diaper and you're not to rely on them as you would an actual harness if you're going to be taking your bird out. I don't have personal experience with them, but that's just what I've heard from other FWIW.
MandyG
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Crowned Amazon

Postby lotus15 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:14 pm

Definitely the aviator harness. It's by far the safest for taking your parrot outside-- the flight suit is only held to the leash with some velcro which could easy come undone. I also think it was created with a parrots' safety, needs, and anatomy in mind much moreso than the flight suit. There's a reason that parrots "go" so often-- it aids them in flight. You might notice that when your bird is frightened by something sudden, two things almost always happen: he/she poops, and flies away from said scary thing. The reason for the pooping is because it's a survival instinct -- droppings means less weight, meaning getting away / surviving quicker and easier. The flight suit kind of defeats the purpose in my opinion. It's really made with human's wants in mind, unfortunately, rather than a bird's needs.
lotus15
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Cape Parrot, English Budgie

Return to Toys, Accessories, and DIY