Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Plastic soda bottle chewing?

Share ideas for making your own parrot toys. What are the best things for parrots to play with? Show pictures of parrots with toys.

Plastic soda bottle chewing?

Postby Becco Lunatico » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:05 pm

Hi birds and kids!
Just curious, can I safely use soda bottles for chewing?

Long time no read/no post. Hope everyone's everybody are doing well!
"She was not quite what you would call refined. She was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot." ~Mark Twain
Becco Lunatico
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Nanday Conure, Three Budgies
Flight: Yes

Re: Plastic soda bottle chewing?

Postby patdbunny » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:07 pm

I've always used plastic soda bottles as cheap foraging containers. I haven't had any problems with them. Then again, there are always concerns about BPA, they might ingest pieces of the plastic they chew off, etc. But I'm not sure if the plastic beads used for bird toys are BPA free. Living in the city with a bird exposes them to carcinogens. We can't protect them from everything. So, I still use plastic soda bottles for foraging containers.
Roz

There are in nature neither rewards nor punishments — there are only consequences. Robert G. Ingersoll
patdbunny
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: sun conure, parrotlet, cockatiel, african greys, eclectus, sun conures, jenday conures, indian ringnecks, parrotlets, bourkes.
Flight: No

Postby Becco Lunatico » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:47 pm

Thanks so much for the reply, will be doing some reading. There are so darn many kinds of plastic out there!
"She was not quite what you would call refined. She was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot." ~Mark Twain
Becco Lunatico
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Nanday Conure, Three Budgies
Flight: Yes

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:20 pm

I let Scooter play with bottle caps all the time, but I think if he were actually chewing them up, I'd be more cautious. I think any plastic can harbor residual plasticizer and while I trust to some extent that beads sold for bird toys are OK, I'd not be entirely sanguine about soda bottles. The surface is probably OK, but when the surface is scratched, I'm not so sure. I'm actually not crazy about the softer plastic toys (as opposed to chew proof acrylic), but Scotty loves to worry at them. They get discarded when bits start to come off, though. But this is really more paranoia than fact-based, I haven't tried to research how safe plastics are.

Actually I think I just wrote a totally useless response.
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot
Flight: No

Return to Toys, Accessories, and DIY