Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Parrots scared of toys?

Share ideas for making your own parrot toys. What are the best things for parrots to play with? Show pictures of parrots with toys.

Parrots scared of toys?

Postby coral » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:52 pm

Have your parrots ever been afraid of their toys?
How did you get them to at least sit on something or play with it or even look at it?
If i try to put Marty on the boing i made him he jumps away! :?
Any ideas to encourage him?
If you had the same problem how did you resolve it?
Thanks! :mrgreen:
A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song. <3
coral
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: zebra finches, society finches, spice finches, and a blue headed pionus parrot
Flight: No

Re: Parrots scared of toys?

Postby entrancedbymyGCC » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:59 pm

I have not encountered this myself, but I've heard that if your parrot is shy about new stuff, you should start with the toy outside the cage/play area and far enough away that it doesn't worry them. Then gradually bring it closer over a period of days. Playing with it yourself is also supposed to be a good strategy. But I wouldn't push a bird (or any animal for that matter) to do something when they are genuinely afraid. Better to approach the thing slowly. Too much, too soon can make them more afraid and that fear more entrenched.
Scooter :gcc:
Death Valley Scotty :cape:
entrancedbymyGCC
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
(Un)Cape Parrot

Postby coral » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:15 pm

Those are both good ideas ill have to give that a try. right now their on top of his cage maybe ill take them off so i can show him them somewhere else. lol
A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer, it sings because it has a song. <3
coral
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: zebra finches, society finches, spice finches, and a blue headed pionus parrot

Postby anna83 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:11 am

Our GCC is scared of ANYTHING new (she even gets scared if I try to get her out wearing a new jacket that she hasnt seen before). We've found that if we repeatedly put treats in/on/around the new thing she overcomes her fear of going near it. I also agree with entrancedbymyGCC, when we play with it she becomes inquisitive and wants to have a go too.
anna83
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
Sulfur-crested Cockatoo
Lovebird
Flight: Yes

Postby zazanomore » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:40 am

anna83 wrote:Our GCC is scared of ANYTHING new (she even gets scared if I try to get her out wearing a new jacket that she hasnt seen before). We've found that if we repeatedly put treats in/on/around the new thing she overcomes her fear of going near it. I also agree with entrancedbymyGCC, when we play with it she becomes inquisitive and wants to have a go too.

My birds fear the unknown. When there's a toy, perch, ladder, swing or change in my room, they often get very jumpy and I can tell they are nervous.

That being said, given a couple of hours, and they usually calm down.
Bonnie - :budgie2:
Clyde - :budgie:
Einstein - :greycockatiel:
Alyssa - :thumbsup:
zazanomore
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 5
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiels
Budgies

Postby Miramis » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:02 am

Must agree with the "play with it yourself" strategy, works a charm on my Senegal. We've had several items he has been afraid of, but after playing with it excitingly, rubbing my nose on it, tossed it around etc he gets really keen and wants to go and get the funny toy from mum... lol. :mrgreen:
Miramis
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot

Postby kaylayuh » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:27 pm

I just shove new toys in their cage. If they don't want to go near them, they don't. Cheney Bird takes a second to acclimate to them but generally doesn't mind. No Name and Pigpen like to play with anything you shove at them, so they're no problem.

I almost wished Cheney Bird was afraid of toys today. He tore apart three different toys in the matter of ten minutes. I could salvage one of them and tie it back together, but the other two are goners. I had this "fan" of wooden blocks, beads and a bell that has become foot toys. He has no interest in them now. The other was the popcicle sticks that are pretty much wood chips now. Needless to say, I was shocked!
"Mockingbirds don't do one thing but make music for us to enjoy. They don't do one thing but sing their hearts out for us. That's why it's a sin to kill a mockingbird."
- Harper Lee, To Kill a Mockingbird
kaylayuh
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: 2 Budgies
1 Green Cheek Conure

Postby CheekyandMalolo » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:04 am

Our GCC's seemed to enjoy having their cage completely rearranged the other day, including taking some toys out that they don't play with and putting some new ones in. They love to explore around and have found new favourite perches :) For a long time they didn't have any interest in their sleep tent, I found a new place for it and they seemed to 'discover' it all over again, it's now their favourite toy, not just for sleeping, but for running thru like a tunnel.
I would keep trying with the boing until you find a place he likes it in. Does he like bells? Perhaps you could put some bells on it, or hang food on/in it. Is it a spiral shape? Get one of those fruit skewers and skewer some favourite fruit/veg onto it, and then hang it in the middle of the spiral. If he wants the treat he can only get to it by climbing on the boing. I'd avoid any other treats other than seed/pellets for a little while aswell.
Aurora - Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure
o'Tika - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure
Malolo - Cinnamon Pied Cockatiel
Tim - Red Wing Parrot
Prince - Blue Princess Parrot
Cheeky - Green Cheek Conure(RIP)
CheekyandMalolo
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Cockatiel x 2
Princess Parrot
Red Wing Parrot
Yellow Sided GCC
Pineapple GCC

Postby Niko » Fri Jul 25, 2014 4:27 pm

I put 2 of his new toys in his cage and he is scared of them is that OK that I put then in there will he die ofsstress or something
Niko
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: Pineapple conure

Postby Harpmaker » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:44 pm

If he is scared of them, take them out of his cage and put them somewhere outside. The cage should be a safe place with nothing scary, because he has no way to hide from stuff inside. Let him get used to new toys while he is inside the cage and they are outside, and he will come around in his own time.
Harpmaker
Amazon

Types of Birds Owned: Meyer's Parrot

Next

Return to Toys, Accessories, and DIY