Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

does anyone use strollers for parrots?

Share ideas for making your own parrot toys. What are the best things for parrots to play with? Show pictures of parrots with toys.

Re: does anyone use strollers for parrots?

Postby angelblue » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:14 pm

bird stroller.JPG
(27.72 KiB) Downloaded 1038 times
IF I can get the picture to load, I wanted to share the stroller I modified for my Parrots. My concern is both safety and health----and since my birds are not fully trained yet I think its unfair to keep them cooped up and not get some sun. So I made this stroller from a car seat clip type, pvc and mesh netting with velcro. So far its a fun ride, though we've only taken one. I am excited to be able to keep mosquitoes out.
Just for those who are interested, this stroller is not a bird carrier in the sense that a bird cannot be left unattended in it. I will only use it in areas where I know the traffic since it cannot protect the bird from a curious dog or cat, nor will it keep a curious bird in if it really wants out. This is a tool for taking my parrots out with me, comfortably and safe from insects and protect from falling. I have a fully trained parrot who refuses to become harness trained, and two rehomed birds whom I have had for 4 month now and still are afraid to step up. It will take a few years I think to get them harness trained, and mosquitoes would still be a threat with west nile disease. This, I hope will give us time to share the outdoors safely. And just like a child I will never leave them unattended in it. :amazon: :thumbsup:
angelblue
Parrotlet

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Amazons. Yellow nape, orange wing and Panama
Flight: No

Postby tacotaco » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:25 am

lmao - such a butthole Michael...

I am the LAME person who uses the stroller and my parrots absolutely love it. i take them down the beach it in and it usually draws a ton of attention which isn't my favorite thing in the world. other than that, i know they enjoy the weather and they jump right inside when i get it out.
Charlie ~ Nanday Conure
Allegra ~ Gold Capped Conure
Willow ~ Blue fronted Amazon
Autumn ~ Nanday Conure
Kim ~ Me!
Our Blog ~ http://www.lifeistemp.blogspot.com
Our YouTube~ http://www.youtube.com/user/icanpwnUn00b?feature=mhum]
tacotaco
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Nanday Conures (2), Gold Capped Conure, Blue fronted Amazon
Flight: Yes

Postby LynnInColorado » Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:54 pm

I use a stroller. It's really great for going out to the garden and makes it easier for me to carry the travel cage into the vet. I'm always within eyesight and my 17 year-old African Grey loves it. :gray: I have an aluminum King's travel cage that is attached with heavy duty bungee cords to a Baby Trend Snap N Go EX Universal Infant Car Seat Carrier from Amazon.com. The idea came from these sites http://abirdsbestlife.wordpress.com/2012/06/13/go-outside/http://www.phoenixlanding.org/blog/category/parrot-enrichment/

There seem to be quite a few opinionated, judgmental and self-righteous people on Parrot forums. With all the parrots in need of a home, if you are providing a good-enough home to one or more parrots, BRAVO to you!!
LynnInColorado
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: African Grey

Postby laducockatiel » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:17 pm

tacotaco wrote:

lmao - such a butthole Michael...

I am the LAME person who uses the stroller and my parrots absolutely love it. i take them down the beach it in and it usually draws a ton of attention which isn't my favorite thing in the world. other than that, i know they enjoy the weather and they jump right inside when i get it out.

:lol: I don't really see it as lame, It does the job and is useful for people who need to transport parrots that don't have a harness. You wouldn't catch me pushing one though ;)
My blog: http://the-buzz-online.weebly.com

"If we don't stand for something, we may fall for anything."
- Malcolm X"
laducockatiel
Amazon

Postby herbg » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:10 pm

I like to take our Yellow Naped out on bike rides, we just hit 2500 miles for the season on Friday the 13 :)

I agree with the people who use the back pack, you will get a lot of folks coming up and asking questions. However, my wife and I enjoy meeting folks, and Barney eats up the attn. My daughters made Barney a facebook page that I post his adventures to https://www.facebook.com/BarneyTheBikingBird and now people call out his name as we ride down a popular trail near our home. I think that the birds really like to get out, and we get to be ambassadors on how to care for a bird.
herbg
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: Yellow Naped Amazon

Postby Rebellious » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:47 pm

I'd love to use a parrot stroller, but I always find taking my birds outside is kind of awkward because (especially my senegal Sissy) they like to scream excitedly whenever they are taken somewhere different. And everyone is thinking, "What is that loud shrieking sound?" Maybe it's just me :P
:senegal: Sissy
:senegal: Sammi
:cockatoo: Rebel
Rebellious
Cockatiel

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal parrots, Sulfur Crested cockatoo

Postby GreenWing » Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:23 pm

I LMFAO'ed reading Michael's comment, but I think it's a great idea, TacoTaco. I am with you on this stroller/bird backpack and I would SO get one for Chance... because I also wonder if it's safer than a harness because it could protect against wild bird mites (like a Grey I am neurotic and have my phobias :lol: )
GreenWing
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey ♥

Postby Weka » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:15 pm

Came across this video which made me smile: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFeQ_Tsq_3s

What a happy budgie! :budgie:

Little birds who can't be harnessed might get a lot of benefit from stroller activity, if that's what it takes to get the owner to take them outside. That said, I would feel more comfortable using a well-built carrier cage than mere zippers and mesh. Also, I'd be a little concerned about the possibility of overheating on intense summer days. But perhaps someone with more experience could chime in on this...

--W
She was not quite what you would call refined. She was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot. -- Mark Twain

Providing a forever home for Skeeter, an 11-year-old male red bellied. :redbelly:
Weka
Conure

Types of Birds Owned: Red-Bellied Parrot

Previous

Return to Toys, Accessories, and DIY