Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

does anyone use strollers for parrots?

Share ideas for making your own parrot toys. What are the best things for parrots to play with? Show pictures of parrots with toys.

does anyone use strollers for parrots?

Postby pennyandrocky » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:49 pm

i've tried all winter to get my cockatoo socialized with friends and family but everyone's intimidated by her. so now that spring is coming i want to be able to take her out and not be worried about outside people trying to touch her and scaring her.i also have my greencheek that loves to go out so i would need them seperate.so i saw parrot strollers online and thought that would be a perfect sollution if anyone on here has experiance with this i would like their opinions.
pennyandmya
pennyandrocky
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: green cheek conure,ducorps cockatoo
Flight: Yes

Re: does anyone use strollers for parrots?

Postby Michael » Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:32 pm

Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby pennyandrocky » Mon Mar 05, 2012 5:37 am

i wasn't looking for a sight to buy. or an insult for trying to find a way to take both birds safely outside.what's lame is answering a question not asked with a website i could find myself.
pennyandmya
pennyandrocky
Amazon

Postby Michael » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:41 am

pennyandrocky wrote:i wasn't looking for a sight to buy. or an insult for trying to find a way to take both birds safely outside.what's lame is answering a question not asked with a website i could find myself.

Huh? That makes no sense. It's a personal review of a stroller from someone who was on this forum and thus the only person I know who'd use one...
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby Polarn » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:45 pm

Sorry to middle but I think the wording was the issue rather than the review. "I only know one person lame enough" part from that I can't see any faults in what you posted michael. But I can see how the "lame" bit might be somewhat offputting if your searching for an item and get that as a response...

Besides that, I personally would probably never use a stroller, I would probably use the backpack version or something if I wanted people to keep their hands off by using a carrier, or I would simply use a regular handheld carrier...

Another option is printing on T-shirt with big text "Do Not Touch My Bird!" throw in some extra cursewords and put a picture of a shopped off hand and I guess noone would touch your birds... I know i wouldnt... without asking :). I would never touch a strangers bird though without asking first but I know what youre getting at. or just a picture of a hand touching your bird with one of them big red rings with a cross over to tell people it is forbidden. Might add less variation to your wardrobe though :)
Polarn
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Greenwing macaw

Postby Grey_Moon » Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:22 am

I'd be worried about what happens if a dog or something walks by the stroller---they're too low for my liking. Plus, what happens if she gets hurt or someone grabs the stroller? She's 'close' but you can't see her (what if she chews out or needs you) and you still have to stop holding the stroller and run around to the front to attend to her. Its also not 'attached' to you---so someone could grab it and leave. It's also pretty bulky.

Personally, Jacko goes out in her carrier, working on her aviator (and will be getting one of the parrotopia carrier handbags once I do a bit more legal research on small pets in public places---she's not ok with being alone and I think some socialization would do her good---plus she loves kids movies n tuesdays are cheap XD).

I totally applaud you for taking her out despite the risks though, it is something they need. They're not meant to sit inside the same four walls forever, or the same spot inside an aviary outside. However, I think there safety issues to remember that we often don't think about;

-Other animals, I *have* whalloped cats with sticks and avoided dogs/gulls/crows etc. Pluuus if you're like me there's always the chance your parrot will pick a fight and dive bomb the dog walking by, or the cat...or anything that breathes :lol:
-Children---- Jacko DOES NOT like children. Of course, children are often the first one to see the 'birdie' (I live in Montreal and its pretty diverse, I think I know 'parrot, mama, look a parrot!' in about 6 languages :P) and they wanna come see. The problem with this is pretty much like the animals situation, and I'M at risk for getting bitten too. SO kids are told, as soon as they *MOVE* towards her, 'sorry kiddo, she will bite you, DO NOT TOUCH HER' and I pull her close to me/move away and tell their parents the same thing'
-How to correctly put this...? Be paranoid---anyone could be...sketchy. I'm broke as all heck, but people see her and assume I'm loaded. I'm a college student living paycheck to paycheck lol, but they either assume I'm rich, or the bird is valuable---either of which is bad. There was a rash of parrot burglaries in my provincce a few years ago and its on the rise. So, I personally think a birdie stroller only adds to the message. I don't walk her in areas I don't trust and I don't dress flashily. Anyone who asks about her is told she doesn't talk, she plucks, needs meds, bites and hates everyone but me and that i'm broke n living with my grandparents in a town i dont live in. Don't make her out to be awesome. Tell people to fear the beak and keep at a distance---there *IS* a black market for parrots.
:gray: ---Jacko (13 year old TAG rescue and my little turkey-bird girl :) )

"Love me, Love my parrots"
Grey_Moon
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: Hen Timneh Grey

Postby pennyandrocky » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:59 pm

thanks for the response but the stroller is for taking her out in my own yard to get her used to being outdoors so when i take her out on a harness she won't get scared by the noises around my home dogs barking,police, ambulace,fire sirens...all my neighbors know my birds well and hearing her flock call any time of the day i leave the house i promise they have no interest in having her in their own home even for a minute to sell her on the black market.my amazon lived outside for 8 out of ten years in the summer he was trained to be outdoor freeflighted but i just don't have that kind of time to do that,i just want a way to get her out until i put up an outdoor aviary.
pennyandmya
pennyandrocky
Amazon

Postby Grey_Moon » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:13 pm

Ah *laughs* my apologies for my long-winded rant XD

In that case, I'd recommend just a travel cage she's comfortable in.
:gray: ---Jacko (13 year old TAG rescue and my little turkey-bird girl :) )

"Love me, Love my parrots"
Grey_Moon
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: Hen Timneh Grey

Postby terri » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:15 pm

I would have no problem trying it [Ive seen them for sale ] I would love to take my birds outside .They seem safe [good outing time for Mya and your kids] Your going to be outside anyways :thumbsup:
terri
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: catalina macaw,RB2,LS2,Hawkhead,Congo grey,2Blk Hd caiques,yellowstreaked lorry,yellowsided greencheek,Blue fnt amazon ,goffin2

Postby Graybeard » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:04 pm

no
Attachments
HBdntn1343W.jpg
Downtown Surf City, before bonding
(33.96 KiB) Downloaded 1000 times
Graybeard
Lovebird

Types of Birds Owned: Greybeard: M, CAG b3-09
Chewbaca: F, RB2 b10-10
Flight: No