Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

does anyone use strollers for parrots?

Share ideas for making your own parrot toys. What are the best things for parrots to play with? Show pictures of parrots with toys.

Re: does anyone use strollers for parrots?

Postby pennyandrocky » Mon May 28, 2012 6:31 pm

speaking for myself all of my birds have gone through trama in former homes.mine are the ones that are thrown away when they aren't the pretty talking decorations people thought they were getting :gcc: penny spent his first year and a half in a cage, then 6 months clipped with my cousin he's now potty trained and flies to me when i whistle. :corella: mya was 7 when i adopted her she was bald from neck to tail,she was clipped and bit alot,she used to flinch after she bit and i reached to pet her like i was going to hit her.now she is fully feathered ,hasn't bit me in about 6 months,fully flighted,and never flinches when i reach out to pet her. my way is not for everyone but it has always worked for me.
pennyandmya
pennyandrocky
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: green cheek conure,ducorps cockatoo
Flight: Yes

Postby cml » Tue May 29, 2012 12:48 pm

Michael wrote:When you follow a "training minded" approach year round and work on teaching a new trick here and there, the parrot is super accustomed to training and learning. Even just 10 minutes a day 4 out of 7 days a week but consistently long term... then when you need to teach something new to parrot (like harness) it just takes a few days like teaching any other trick. But then there are people who "don't believe in training" and want to "let their parrot do whatever it wants." From that approach it can easily take 3 months to a year to harness train because you have to start everything completely from scratch (presence, clicker, target, tame, tricks, diet, trust, history, harness). This is why I recommend everyone to perform basic training and taming with their parrots to maintain tameness for when you need to teach a practical behavior.

If it was only that easy, I believe that while your approach is correct, it does take longer for some parrots to learn things like wearing a harness.

We definatly work with a training approach here, and we work with training not 4 out of 7 days, but 7 out of 7. We worked for months to get Stitch into his harness (always praising and giving treats for every step forward), and while we got him outside with it twice, the last time he freaked out, and wanted nothing to do with the harness, but tried to pull it off, ignoring that he was outside, ignoring treats. We always gave him a super-reward for wearing it, like eating out of a seed bowl or getting an almond.

But, after that episode he REFUSED to look at the harness, he flew away as soon as he saw it, so we gradually worked at re-introducing it, taking 2 steps back. We worked and worked, but he still refused, so eventually we gave up.

I am thinking about starting training with the harness again, but its not something he will learn in a few days, even if he picks up tricks in a few sessions - which he does.

I see what you mean and where you are coming from, but its not always that easy.
Stitch (WFA) and Leroy (BWP)
cml
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: White fronted amazon, Bronze winged pionus

Postby pennyandrocky » Tue May 29, 2012 3:34 pm

thanks cml, i was feeling so bad about this. i even got beat up yesterday about choosing flight so i really appreciate your comment. :D
pennyandmya
pennyandrocky
Amazon

Postby marie83 » Tue May 29, 2012 4:08 pm

Cml is most definitely right and it doesn't just apply with things like harness training. Of course the right approach will help no end and I believe Michaels methods to be the best and kindest to the birds but it just isn't that simple sometimes.
Like me trying to tame Harlie, some of the others I've had have been just as 'wild' if not more so in Jack and Rosies case and those two tamed down in literally a fraction of the time despite being older birds, whilst Harlie is only just starting to calm down despite applying the exact same methods + a few others when my usual plan appeared to fail. I've since gone back to my usual methods and things are progressing now albeit slowly but I refuse to force things through flooding and the like so slowly slowly it is.
marie83
Cockatoo

Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure

Postby Michael » Tue May 29, 2012 5:40 pm

I understand that there are different species of parrots, different personalities, different learning abilities, etc. My point isn't the exact length of time it takes to teach something but that with a training minded approach it happens a heck of a lot quicker (especially the longer term that approach has been employed).

For example, before when Kili was afraid of a new training prop, sometimes I would have to work with her for a few days to desensitize her to it. Now by using that same method I can get her to work with the new prop within minutes. The familiarity of the method makes it all the more effective.

Again, if you take parrots out on car rides in carrier, outside walks in carrier, other people's houses, socialize, etc... that makes the outdoor part of being on a harness less frightening. On the flip side being outside on harness makes visiting new houses, moving, traveling, also less frightening. That is why this is an entire approach rather than a single method. I highly recommend it and it has worked amazingly for me. I will be dedicating the majority of my upcoming Phoenix Seminar to this topic.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby Cage Cleaner » Thu May 31, 2012 2:37 am

Gl
Last edited by Cage Cleaner on Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cage Cleaner
Amazon

Number of Birds Owned: 0
Types of Birds Owned: 2

Postby pennyandrocky » Thu May 31, 2012 5:08 am

mya is a small cockatoo, that would be too small for her.but thanks for sharing.
pennyandmya
pennyandrocky
Amazon

Postby cml » Thu May 31, 2012 12:59 pm

I understand you Michael, and completely agree with you =).

I just wanted to point out that it isnt always easy, I know you've worked hard with your parrots, but you make it sound so easy sometimes ;).
Stitch (WFA) and Leroy (BWP)
cml
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: White fronted amazon, Bronze winged pionus

Postby annieh » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:43 am

To answer your question with a short answer, YES, I do use a home converted stroller to walk my parrots around. I, however, also have them in a harness for their protection as well as other things around. They are on a leash while in their harness. Learning to use a harness on a bird is a wonderful tool in training. You will learn how little you really do understand your birds and how little you know how to train birds...lol

There are some wonderful pieces of information out there on how to train your bird to wear a harness. I created a stroller with vet taped wrapped safe pvc piping so they have something to grip on to. I also have been doing this with them since they were one year old, they are now 3 and 4 yrs of age.

I have NEVER had a problem with my birds getting attacked by dogs walking by on leashes, and without leashes. They are use to kids on bikes as well. I live on the beach where a lot of activity is going on all the time, the birds LOVE to get out on their stroller and will ask to do so on their own.

This is a GREAT opportunity for you to really prep and work with your birds... looking at all situations and preparing yourself with education and your birds with slow ( but not too slow) prep to go on a nice stroll. First get ready to introduce your bird to a harness. There are many types out there, I personally made my birds their own harness because I know what they like. The Aviator flight suit is a good one to start off with and it also has a leash attached ( very important)!!

As soon as I can figure out how to insert and image I will send you pictures of me and my macaws out for a lovely stroller walk, as well as a picture of us in the 4th of July parade 2012.

I do want to say, owning macaws is always a work in progress.. changes happen, so to emotions. Just like having a child, you learn new emotions and actions as they get older, not to mention hormonal issues.. with anything new, please use caution and think things through, don't be affraid to try new things, but remember, you are dealing with Macaws, not children and they can be the best thing ever happening in your life, or they can be the worst thing happening in your life, depending on how you develop your relationship.

Best wishes, and I hope this is a new beginning for you and your birds to create an opportunity to move forward, utilizing this as a way to further training techniques and learn more trust with one another. :) Just want to say.. it's the journey together that counts, not the end result in record breaking time!!! Step by step is your friend......Best wishes!! ♥
annieh
Parakeet

Types of Birds Owned: Macaws, Green wing, B&G

Postby independentminded » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:38 pm

Frankly, I think if one's going to take their parrot(s) outside, it's best to use a carrier. Strollers or anything else, imho, are way too risky.
independentminded
Lovebird

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey Parrot.
Flight: No

PreviousNext

Return to Toys, Accessories, and DIY