Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

The big homemade toy idea thread

Share ideas for making your own parrot toys. What are the best things for parrots to play with? Show pictures of parrots with toys.

Re: Questions about chains

Postby DanaandPod » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:46 pm

Make your own parrot toys.com has all sorts of plastic link chains varrying in size...maybe they have regular chains too...
Maria wrote:Where can we get those chains which we see parrot toys are made on, at parrot shops? What is this which is used? Are these indeed dog collar chains? I believe I remember the parrot shop owner saying not to let parrots chew on the chains, which these parrot shop toys already made, are made on. Would that be because they have zinc in them? My parrot is not a chain chewer, and they seem to hold toys the best as well.

Home depot does not have that right kind of chain.

What types of metals are safe for parrots? Is it stainless steel and nickel only? And are there chains made of the "safe" metals only, that we can get?

Unless I get some answers and find chaining that I'm also comfortable with using, I will stick to Poly rope. But I would also like to find chaining.

Thanks.
Piccolo and Pod
DanaandPod
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: male Jardines parrot, a female meyers parrot, and two budgies
Flight: Yes

Re: The big homemade toy idea thread

Postby DanaandPod » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:57 pm

Well, I do the toilet paper roll thing...till now I read someone say the glue on them isn't safe. I discovered my parrot loves pony beads...till someone discouraged using plastic. I also get my parrot baby laptops and small piano keyboards and such that he walks on and sets off... I also used to get him plastic army men from the dollar store in a big bag. He would bite the heads off of them. And, soft plastic curlers which I would stuff with shredded paper and hang. Pill bottle caps with the holes in the lid made good for stringing. I have even lightly sewed them to material and he works at tearing them off. Cabobs. Corks. tiny plastic chain links from make your own bird toys.com bunched up at the end of a shoe lace with a cabob on top. On Pod's four upper perches, I have a small toy more or less like a foot toy hanging infront of each perch. Otherwise, he doesn't bother too much with it if it isnt right infront of his face. I just dont know what to think though anymore... because I thought I was ultra safe and always wanting to learn and do the best things... but hell, this is a wild bird that doesnt belonged captured...isn't there such thing as too extreme? As is...the options are limited depending on what the bird likes.... I mean should i really be worried that my bird will swallow plastic?
Piccolo and Pod
DanaandPod
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: male Jardines parrot, a female meyers parrot, and two budgies

Postby Wolf » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:47 pm

You could probably find some aluminum chain. It is difficult to find materials that are safe for parrots and a big reason for this is the fact that they have such strong beaks. Their beaks are designed to open seeds and nuts, which as we all know are often very hard and in fact many of the nuts that they feed on are difficult for us to crack open even with the proper tools to assist us with the task. While I stick primarily with only using safe natural materials to make toys for my birds and even place a covering over any chains that my birds use for their toys, I am sure that there are plastics that are resilient enough that they could be considered to be safe for certain species of parrots. The only way to know for sure is to watch your parrot with the toys and make the call for yourself as to whether or not you think that they are safe enough for your bird. I think that for my birds I will stat with untreated bird safe woods, palm fronds , sisal rope and grape vines to make the toys that I give to my birds.
I know how difficult it is to find these material as I don't live in a metropolitan area where you can find a variety of places to even shop for your birds. I live in a rural area and there is only one pet store in at least four counties surrounding my place of residence. This simply means that I have to get really creative when it comes to finding materials with which to even attempt to make toys for them.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby shiraartain » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:44 pm

At the pet store today, I was looking at the toys trying to come up with ideas....our new additions go through homemade toys in 2 days that take Fajr at least a week :shock: . Probably because he is one bird who spends most of his time with humans, instead of two birds who have all day to wreak havoc on their toys. Bought one, which consisted of wood squares with holes drilled into them and ropes tied into those holes.Something which can easily be remade at home after being worn out.

Then went to 5 Below and saw those wiffle balls in various sizes and colors that they use for bird toys as well! Went through the entire store with bird toys in mind, the only other majorly bird-related thing I saw was a tiny golf set.

Just came home and hunted these down online as well:
http://www.amazon.com/Vase-Fillers-Twig ... icker+ball

I know our local dollar store sells tiny paper cups and plain wooden clothespins, as well as popsicle sticks, all of which can be put together for some pretty entertaining toys.

Edit: Also found this, with instructions on how to bake the pine cones
http://www.birdtricks.com/blog/are-pine ... r-parrots/
shiraartain
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure, Quaker, Ringneck

Postby bean » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:16 am

Delete for safety ,second thought
bean
Cockatiel