Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

"The Percher"

Share ideas for making your own parrot toys. What are the best things for parrots to play with? Show pictures of parrots with toys.

Re: "The Percher"

Postby Saerphe » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:01 pm

Pajarita wrote::lol: Yes, that's an easy one for them because it's a natural display. Why don't you try bopping up and down on command? It should be VERY easy for her because it's also a natural display... and SOOO cute when they do it!

Thanks for the suggestion - she picked up on it almost immediately. She now dances very enthusiastically for treats and spins intermittently. Maybe I should start choreographing. :lol:
Saerphe
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure
Flight: Yes

Postby Pajarita » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:32 am

:lol: Or, at the very least, putting music to her videos so she can be a real diva!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Wolf » Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:06 am

I broke down and bought one of these perches. I did this because I have two birds that insist on being on me even with the other one already being there. This is fine with me but neither of them want the other on me and I have to be careful that they don't get the opportunity to reach the other one. These two birds are Kiki, Senegal and Kookooloo, CAG and I thought that I would be able to get Kiki to use the perch. No freaking way! At first they were both afraid of it, naturally. Then Kookooloo decided to try it out, that is really unusual and out of the ordinary. Even more unusual is that she really likes it, and asks and stretches to reach it. A month later and Kiki will still not have anything to do with it.

Although it works very well, it was probably not made for a bird as large as a Grey parrot as it is too light and if Kookooloo reaches out to far it needs me to stabilize it or it will tip. That seems easy enough to fix, once I decide which way , that I want to do it. That will depend mostly on where it gets the most use. The other thing about it that I am not certain that I want to fix is that when Kookooloo is on it, the perch rotates in the base really easily. This causes her a small problem as she likes to wipe her beak on my fingers and it spins her when she tries to do this. It is rather funny but I should probably fix it so that it does not do this to her as readily.

The T part of the perch is textured so Kookooloo has no problem with gripping it but as I thought it is completely round which means that I will have to modify that as soon as I decide on how to best do that. and I may try to make a long pole stand from pvc to sit it on to make it even more versatile but have not yet decided on whether I really want to do that or not.

Other than saying that overall I like it despite it shortcomings when used with a parrot the size of a CAG, I can't say any more about it. Well yes I can, I would like it much better if it came in different colors than bright white, I hate white.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:38 am

I am surprised! As handy as you are, I would have thought you would have made something yourself.
But I hear you on the having more than one bird on you! Right now, I am typing with Sweetpea on my left knee, Zoey on my left shoulder and Sunny on my right - ay, ay, ay...
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Wolf » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:15 am

You really should give this a try : A Senegal on one forearm, a Grey on the other hand, both trying to reach the other one. Then if that is not enough enjoyment you could add a Parrotlet on a shoulder trying to get at both of the other two.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Wolf » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:20 am

Sometimes the price of a thing is low enough that when I have a lot pulling on my time that I fold and buy something for them just to get a 5 minute breather. I still have to build Keeta and Rajah a nest box and try getting them back together. They are next to each other but really want back together.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Navre » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:15 pm

I have one, but it didn't take long for me to over tighten the perch and crack the threads.
Navre
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Turquoise Green Cheek Conure
Hooded Parrot

Postby Pajarita » Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:06 pm

Wolf wrote:You really should give this a try : A Senegal on one forearm, a Grey on the other hand, both trying to reach the other one. Then if that is not enough enjoyment you could add a Parrotlet on a shoulder trying to get at both of the other two.

Ahhh, but I NEVER let them stay on my hand or forearm - you can't do any work like that! If they want to be on me, they have to go to my shoulders or my head (well, sometimes, Sweetpea hangs on to my pants knee even while I am walking from one place to another but that's OK because he doesn't impede my movements in any way).
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Postby Wolf » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:41 pm

That is true, Pajarita, you can't. But you can't get any work done when they are chasing each other on you either. I usually put them on their cages while trying to do inside work.
Wolf
Macaw

African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby liz » Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:09 am

I manage to do housework and even cook with Myrtle on me. She want to sample every ingredient.
My biggest problem with her is when I am doing paper work. She hangs upside down on the front of me and wants to get involved in what I am doing. Of course I can't see around her to do my work.
liz
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 12
Types of Birds Owned: DYH Amazon Rambo
BF Amazon Myrtle
Cockatiels: Shadow Tammy Flutter Phoenix Jackie
Andy Impy Louise Twila Leroy

PreviousNext

Return to Toys, Accessories, and DIY