Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

"The Percher"

Share ideas for making your own parrot toys. What are the best things for parrots to play with? Show pictures of parrots with toys.

"The Percher"

Postby Andromeda » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:37 pm

One of my birds is a rescue and is afraid/aggressive toward hands (I'm working on addressing that with clicker training but it's going to be a long process) so I have to carry him around on a perch.

I didn't really like the one I was using so I looked around and found a product that I just got in the mail the other day that I love. I thought I would share it because it's not very expensive (cost me $13 at Drs. Foster and Smith) and it's super useful because it has seven different configurations!

It's called "The Percher" and here's how you can use it:

It's plastic, so I worried about the birds keeping a grip, but what you can't see in the pictures is that the perch is textured (and not smooth) so their nails have something to grip.

Not trying to sound like an ad or anything but I'm just so in love with this product because it's so versatile and I have a biter and I love having a hand-held perch that has a "shield" for my hands. Not just that but once I'm done using it as a hand-held perch I can just re-adjust it (really quickly) and it's a perch I can place on my desk. :-)

Just thought I'd share in case it was useful to anyone else!
Andromeda
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: brown-headed parrot, green cheek conure
Flight: Yes

Re: "The Percher"

Postby Maria » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:58 pm

ooooo I like this! looks light weight, and easy to carry around, lots of times my parrot wants to be with me, and when I'm busy, I can just take this to any room I'm in, like kitchen table, or dining room table, and just prop him up on it. This is because half the time he screams when I walk out of the room, that's one of his ways of letting me know he wants to be with me "Mama! RRRAAA! Come on! MAMMMAAAAAA!!!!!!!!" That's what he say when he does this. So this will work great instead of rolling his big tree around from room to room sometimes - as an alternative. Because otherwise when he gets real bad about it, I just put him on my shoulder working around the house, but then it's hard to really get stuff done with him trying to balance on my shoulder cause I have to be careful cause I don't want him to fall lol. It would be very quick to throw some news paper on this, putting it on the tables, etc. I have a smaller "table-top perch". It's smaller than the tree, from the parrot shop, a good one. But this plastic one is even more smaller, light weight, and compact. The table top perch I have is a bit heavy. This plastic percher is even good for when I'm watching tv in the living room, and I've rolled his large tree in the living room, but want to take him over to me where I'm sitting also. It can be easily then put on the coffee table or end table near chair/couch.
Maria
Maria
Poicephalus

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Double Yellow Headed Amazon
Flight: No

Postby Saerphe » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:21 am

I have one of these as well. I love that it can be transformed into a variety of shapes, but Akimi's currently terrified of it and wants nothing to do with it. :roll:
Saerphe
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: Green Cheek Conure

Postby Wolf » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:25 pm

I like it from what I can see. It doesn't show the shape of the perch portion very clearly, but it looks to be completely round. Not a thing that I can fix to suit me but I just don't like totally round for a birds feet. Still I might just have to get one and see. Thanks for the heads up on this product.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Saerphe » Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:52 am

It's great for smaller birds, but it's admittedly not very stable for anything larger than a cockatiel or a GCC. If it could be weighted down, or attached a base with more surface area, that might fix the issue. It's really the only problem I have with it. :\
Saerphe
Poicephalus

Postby Saerphe » Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:36 am

Even with the textured plastic, Akimi wasn't able to grip the perch effectively. So I wrapped the perch very tightly with jute twine to give her a less slippery surface. Problem solved! :)

Saerphe
Poicephalus

Postby Pajarita » Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:51 am

Good idea! :thumbsup: I don't use twine but I use sisal rope A LOT!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Postby Saerphe » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:48 am

Now that she can grip it, she quite likes this perch. She steps onto it on her own to do tricks. And by tricks, I mean trick, because she really only knows "Turn Around". I've been trying to teach her "Take a Bow", but she just keeps spinning in circles. :lol:

Saerphe
Poicephalus

Postby Wolf » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:56 am

Maybe she's a bit dizzy of likes spinning? the whirling dervish?
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Postby Pajarita » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:25 am

:lol: Yes, that's an easy one for them because it's a natural display. Why don't you try bopping up and down on command? It should be VERY easy for her because it's also a natural display... and SOOO cute when they do it!
Pajarita
Norwegian Blue

Number of Birds Owned: 30
Types of Birds Owned: RoseBreasted too, CAG, DoubleYellowHead Amazon, BlueFront Amazon, YellowNape Amazon, Senegal, African Redbelly, Quaker, Sun Conure, Nanday, BlackCap Caique, WhiteBelly Caique, PeachFace lovebird, budgies,

Next

Return to Toys, Accessories, and DIY