Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Birdie backpacks

Share ideas for making your own parrot toys. What are the best things for parrots to play with? Show pictures of parrots with toys.

Birdie backpacks

Postby Strawfrawg » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:53 pm

I have a deposit on a Senegal chick that I will be bringing home in March, and I'm busying myself buying all manner of "stuff" for my new baby. I'm an avid walker, and have been thinking about getting a bird backpack so I can take my bird with me. They cost a bit, so I'm gathering data before making a purchase. Does anybody here have experience with bird backpacks? Does your bird enjoy it?
Marvin Beakman - DNA sexed male Senegal
Strawfrawg
Conure

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot
Flight: Yes

Re: Birdie backpacks

Postby marie83 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:28 pm

I have no direct experience with them but I saw a few birds being carried around in them at the think parrots show last year. The birds didn't seem to mind them but the owners seemed to forget they had parrots on their backs and kept bending over to look at stuff knocking the birds off of the perches :(
I'm sure your sennie would be fine in one with training. If you dont walk for long distances have you considered a harness?
marie83
Cockatoo

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: Yellow sided Green Cheek Conure
Pineapple Green Cheek Conure

Postby Strawfrawg » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:12 am

My area has some very bold raptors, so a harness is out. It's a shame because I'd like to be able to use one for shorter walks.

I found a pack that sits on the shoulder (see image)...supposedly it's better for the bird psychologically because he can still see his parent for security. I plan to go with one of those, though it will look a little weird!
Attachments
backpack.JPG
backpack.JPG (40.08 KiB) Viewed 11403 times
Strawfrawg
Conure

Postby Michael » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:00 pm

First off I think those are completely ridiculous. However, the greater point I wanted to make was that if birds of prey are so abundant that you can't take your parrot out on a harness, then it's a bad idea taking it out in this. Not that I think a raptor will attack it through this but I think the parrot would end up going through a lot of psychological agony to be entrapped in the vicinity of so much danger.

Also, from the fact that you selected "no" to flight, I presume that your Senegal Parrot is expected to come clipped. I would strongly urge you to reconsider this and demand that your breeder not clip the parrot. If the breeder won't agree to this, then cancel the deposit and stay as far away from that breeder as possible. Breeders who only know clipping don't know birds and this inexperience ends up affecting many things beyond just flight.

Or if there is no way you want a flighted parrot, then you don't really want a parrot and should entirely reconsider it. So many people who later have regrets of getting a parrot is because they didn't really want a bird in the first place.

I know it may seem like working with the entire "flight aspect" of a bird seems like a ton of work, and it really is. It is still soooo much better than dealing with all the biting and screaming issues instead! You WILL have to put the work in one way or another. The flight way is painless, fun, and mutually beneficial. The clipping way is not and you will end up paying for it in blood.

Here are some things I've written about flight that should help get you thinking and started:

http://TrainedParrot.com/Clipping
http://TrainedParrot.com/Recall
http://TrainedParrot.com/Flight_Safety
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby friend2parrots » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:51 pm

Michael wrote:demand that your breeder not clip the parrot. If the breeder won't agree to this, then cancel the deposit and stay as far away from that breeder as possible.

I agree with this 100% . please make sure your breeder does not clip your birds wings.
Ringo - Green Cheek Conure
Toby - Bourke Parakeet
friend2parrots
Poicephalus

Types of Birds Owned: green cheek conure
bourke parakeet

Postby GreenWing » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:48 pm

'Agree with Michael, too. When I brought Tiki home, she was already clipped and I didn't know any better beforehand. I'm flighting her but it would have been better if she never was clipped in the first place. :(

As for the backpacks, eh, I think they might be pretty cool to use when hiking, on a warm day it would be cool to take your parrot with you for some nature and fresh mountain air. A harness would be better but this might be useful as well in regards to safety.
GreenWing
African Grey

Types of Birds Owned: Congo African Grey ♥

Postby Strawfrawg » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:46 am

I wrote "no" for flight because my last bird, a cockatiel, was clipped because he was a dangerous flyer indoors. He spooked too easily and would crash or land badly on exactly the worst things in the house for him to land on. You guys have already convinced me to keep my new Sennie flighted. My breeder does not clip. I'm changing the flight status in my profile now!

We don't have so many raptors that my bird will feel like he's in danger, but we have enough that I don't want to risk a swoop. I've seen hawks flying with young housecats in their claws twice since I've been here (six years). I think the backpacks are a little ridiculous, too, but I do want to take the new bird on long walks. Can't think of a better way to do it. If he doesn't like it, I'll simply stop bringing him.
Strawfrawg
Conure

Postby friend2parrots » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:53 pm

Strawfrawg wrote:Does anybody here have experience with bird backpacks? Does your bird enjoy it?

I don't have any experience with bird backpacks - and I do think wearing one and walking around might look a little wierd to passersby - but I think its actually a very nice way for birds that are not (yet) harness trained to get outdoor enrichment. Of course harness training is ideal, but a birdie backpack would be a good alternative for people who have birds that are currently not harness trained, esp. if youre looking for something handsfree.

Unfortunately, the model that you posted above (the Pak o Bird) doesn’t seem to offer much in the way of enrichment for the bird. I think as cagelike a backpack as possible would be necessary for the bird to have sufficient ability to see its surroundings clearly. that Pak O Bird model has such a tight mesh that it basically encloses the bird into the space, thereby defeating the point of taking it outdoors in the first place.

my birds love being outside, but they are not harness trained. they are both adults, one is a little Bourke that I seriously doubt I'll ever be able to get a harness onto, and the other one is a GCC that I will first have to condition with "touch training" before harness training; he is still getting over some fear/nervousness issues, so harness training may not be possible anytime soon. so it would be nice to discover some way to offer the birds a way to experience the outdoors in a mobile fashion. most travel cages are too heavy and cumbersome to walk with. and most plastic hard carriers do not offer enough visibility or air flow for the bird to get maximum enrichment from the breeze, sights, sounds, etc. i've been looking for something for this purpose for a long time, and havent found anything I'm happy with. if i find anything, I'll post it on this thread.

Strawfrawg wrote:but I do want to take the new bird on long walks. Can't think of a better way to do it. If he doesn't like it, I'll simply stop bringing him.

i think walking with a bird is a great idea, if you are able to find a suitable way to carry him. however, i dont think you should simply stop taking him for walks if he doesnt like it. he will grow to like it if it is introduced gradually, with positive reinforcement. and its really worthwhile for him to learn to like it like that, because its so enriching, and is a wonderful lifelong activity you guys can enjoy together. and if he gets used to going out with you now in a carrier, it will help him feel that much more comfortable when it comes time to wearing his harness outdoors, after youve completed harness training.

so anyway, my point is, i like the idea of going on walks with a bird, and i think this idea of a take-along carrier to take your bird for walks is a great thing to look into -- one just has to find the right model!
Toby - Bourke Parakeet
friend2parrots
Poicephalus

bourke parakeet

Postby Strawfrawg » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:29 am

I'm going to keep shopping around for alternatives. I liked the idea that the bird can see me in this model so he feels secure, but if there's something out there that is better for his total experience, I'll find it sooner or later. I may get this one to start since he's a baby.

As for enrichment, I figure the enrichment is the walk itself, and being able to see new things with me. What are you thinking should be added, enrichment-wise?

I wouldn't give up on the carrier in the first try if he didn't like it. I know it might take some time. But if it persisted, I'd let him off the hook. I don't want to force him to do it just because I like the idea.
Strawfrawg
Conure

Postby friend2parrots » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:21 pm

Strawfrawg wrote: As for enrichment, I figure the enrichment is the walk itself, and being able to see new things with me. What are you thinking should be added, enrichment-wise?

i agree, the walk itself, and the sights and sounds are the enrichment. when i take my birds outside to the backyard in their travel cages, i just put one small toy and a happy hut (to hide in case they feel insecure about something) in each of their cages, plus perches, food and water dishes. nothing else, because i figure the being outdoors itself is the enrichment, because they get to look at the trees, listen to other birdies, feel the breeze, etc.

(also, i cover the cage halfway to give them a place to go if they feel overwhelmed, and supervise their stay outside)

:senegal:
Toby - Bourke Parakeet
friend2parrots
Poicephalus

bourke parakeet

Next

Return to Toys, Accessories, and DIY