Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Water Bottles for Parrots

Comment or discuss articles from the trained parrot blog.

Postby Michael » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:16 pm

Article about my use of water bottles for parrots. Discusses the pros/cons of water bottles, how to teach a parrot to drink from one, and properly cleaning them. Includes videos of my parrots using theirs.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw
Flight: Yes

Re: Water Bottles for Parrots

Postby cml » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:45 pm

Good stuff.

Using quality bottles help, I went through a few in a very short time until settling on glass bottles from Lixit, same as yours from what I can see in the vid :).

They are expensive as hell though :(.

Oh, a quick tip for making the cleaning of the tip easier. If you have a steam cleaner, you can put that into the tip and steam. Use a towel for holding the tip though, because it gets VERY VERY hot.
I do this from time to time with the bottles as well, in addition to normal cleaning.
Stitch (WFA) and Leroy (BWP)
cml
African Grey

Number of Birds Owned: 2
Types of Birds Owned: White fronted amazon, Bronze winged pionus

Postby riki13 » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:42 pm

Just wanted to give a cautionary tale. I've used water bottles with my birds for many years, and still do, for all the advantages cited above. However, I lost a beautiful, older sun conure to a water bottle malfunction. The water bottle in the sun conure's cage had leaked dry, but looked full when my daughter, who was primary caretaker, went away for the weekend, and we didn't notice because we had a lot going on. We think that he lacked water for just two nights, and I found our bird dead on the floor of the cage the following morning. His cage mate was fine, and didn't seem particularly thirsty. Our vet did a necropsy and the sun conure had kidney issues making him particularly sensitive to lack of water. We now make sure each cage has two bottles at all times, and we keep a chart where we record when we check and refill the water bottles in each cage. Please be careful and check those waters bottles daily, to keep your birds safe.
riki13
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 7
Types of Birds Owned: 1 Senegal Parrot
1 Green cheek conure
2 American budgies
1 English budgie
2 Cockatiels

Postby 400runner » Fri May 30, 2014 2:02 pm

I adopted a 18 year old african grey several months ago. Unfortunately much of his history is unknown but I'm learning more of what he knows / does day by day. He seemed to already know how to drink from a water bottle which was great, but unless I put a dish of water in with his pellets he refuses to eat, & looks at me like I'm stupid for not doing it. Any suggestions?
400runner
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 1
Types of Birds Owned: African Grey Parrot
Flight: No

Postby Wolf » Sat May 31, 2014 1:27 am

400runner wrote:I adopted a 18 year old african grey several months ago. Unfortunately much of his history is unknown but I'm learning more of what he knows / does day by day. He seemed to already know how to drink from a water bottle which was great, but unless I put a dish of water in with his pellets he refuses to eat, & looks at me like I'm stupid for not doing it. Any suggestions?

Put in the dish of water. He needs it to help eat the pellets which are hard and dry. He probably dips the pellets before eating them.
Wolf
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 6
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal
African Grey (CAG)
Yellow Naped Amazon
2Celestial Parrotlet
Budgie

Return to TrainedParrot.com - Parrot Training Blog Comments