Trained Parrot BlogParrot Wizard Online Parrot Toy StoreThe Parrot Forum

Senegal Parrot Doritos Commercial

Comment or discuss articles from the trained parrot blog.

Re: Senegal Parrot Doritos Commercial

Postby VBSenegal » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:14 pm

Once or twice per week I give my Senegal a quarter-sized piece of sweet potati chip (Brand is Terachips and they have an unsalted version). There is still the fat but it is canola oil. They are one if the "treats" she is allowed to have (others are small pieces of organic unsalted walnuts, pecans, almond, or hazelnuts) mostly when I need to bribe her to go in her cage. When I tell her "it is time for me to go to work" she responds "treat?" and willingly goes in for a small piec3 of treat.
Also my family and I enjoyed Kili's Doritos commercial as we do all her videos. Michael does an amazing job and is providing a much needed educational service for companion bird owners :redbelly: . Although the Doritos video is cute and entertaining it does emphasize an important point - protective eyewear should always be worn around birds. Any time my flighted bird is out (which is a great deal of the time I am home) I make sure to wear glasses or safety goggles over contacts. I keep safety goggles near her cage for petsitters and guests. Whether it is an accidental attempt to prevent a fall or an intentional lunge, a birds beak really can severely damage an eye and could blind someone. It is not the bird's fault because they are a wild creature behaving instinctually - humans just need to think about this possibility and be properly protected.
VBSenegal
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal, Budgies
Flight: Yes

Postby Michael » Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:48 am

Hey thanks. I hope you aren't serious about the eye wear? Cause if you are you've got some behavior issues with your birds to be that concerned. The commercial was a joke although it does pin on the fact that we may encounter aggression from our birds over foods. Yet, we shouldn't put them or ourselves in positions where biting an eye is even possible. If you see sufficient aggression/biting of other places that you have this concern, you really should work with your bird to reduce this but also to protect yourself by separating yourself from the bird enough rather than trying to wear something for it. Your eyes may be covered but you could still get your ear or nose bit.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Postby VBSenegal » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:11 pm

I am an ophthalmologist who routinely cares for eye trauma. While rare, there are cases of birds pecking an eye. Less common than dog bites but they occur. Since even the most well- trained bird could startle and potentially bite an eye if frightened and since protective eyewear is inexpensive and easy to wear, I tend to lean toward being cautious. Why take the chance? :senegal:
VBSenegal
Parakeet

Number of Birds Owned: 4
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal, Budgies

Postby Michael » Sat Jan 25, 2014 9:52 pm

Well frankly the solution is simpler. Just don't keep the bird in eye-bite-range. This is a practice I use with all birds including my own. Otherwise around ears, lips, nose, etc I'll take the 99.9999% change that they won't bite or won't bite hard if they did. I wear glasses all the time so I never really thought of this but yeah they do protect from most direct type sudden bites.

However, if you feel there is a reasonably frequent chance of your bird biting you, that is something that should be dealt with through training means to reduce biting to near zero.
Michael
Macaw

Number of Birds Owned: 3
Types of Birds Owned: Senegal Parrot, Cape Parrot, Green-Winged Macaw

Previous

Return to TrainedParrot.com - Parrot Training Blog Comments